Installing TI and DD on same boot device

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ptr727, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptr727

ptr727 Registered Member

Is it possible to install TI and DD on the same boot device?

On my test machines I keep backup images on a partition, and restore them to the OS partition whenever I need to test a specific OS configuration.

It would be very convenient to be able to boot TI and DD from a drive in the machine rather than needing to boot from a USB key or a CD.

I am currently using the OS Selector with a 2GB FAT16 MS DOS 7.1 bootable partition, and Symantec Ghost Enterprise 8.3 for DOS to backup and restore the OS partitions. The boot menu hides this partition before booting the OS.

Can I boot TI or DD from a partition on the HDD?
    Is it possible to install TI and DD on the same boot device?

Regards
    Pieter

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Pieter,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Software.

Yes, it is possible. Please be aware that Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director cannot be booted by themselves. If you want to boot Acronis True Image directly from the hard drive's partition then you should create Acronis Secure Zone and Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. If you want to boot Acronis Disk Director Suite then you should install and activate Acronis OS Selector.

Once you have installed Acronis OS Selector you will be able to boot into Windows, run Acronis True Image and create Acronis Secure Zone. After activation of Acronis Startup Recovery Manager you will be able to boot Acronis True Image (by choosing Acronis Secure Zone option) and Acronis Disk Director Suite (by selecting Tools->Disk Director Suite option) from Acronis OS Selector.

I would also like to recommend you to read the appropriate User's Guides which describe the above mentioned operations and are available at the Documentation section of our web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. ptr727

ptr727 Registered Member

Kirill / Support

I already had the OS selector installed.
    I booted the TI CD and installed and activated secure zone. (I do not want to install or run TI from Windows)
    When the OS selector boots, I can now choose secure zone, and TI then runs, thanks.
    But, the tools-DD option in the OS selector menu is gray?

How do I get the option enabled?

Regards
    Pieter

4. Acronis Support

Hello Pieter,

Could you please clarify whether Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is installed? If it is installed then please let us know where it is installed. Please also let us know where Acronis OS Selector is installed.

Please also make sure that you are using the latest build (2089) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0. You can download the latest update from the Product Updates section os our web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. ptr727

ptr727 Registered Member

Kirill / Support

There is a 2GB FAT16 partition booting DOS 7.1 (see first post).
    As instructed in your reply post, I then installed secure zone, this gave me access to TI.

DD is not installed, there is no Windows OS to install it onto.
    If I can only run DD from TI if installed on Windows, this will not work for me.

Can I create rescue media with both TT and DD?
    (TT and DD rescue media builder only installs TT or DD, not both)

Regards
    Pieter

6. Acronis Support

Hello Pieter,

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my explanation.

Please be aware that you can boot Acronis Disk Director Suite from Acronis OS Selector only if you have Acronis Disk Director Suite installed.

Actually, it is not possible to create Acronis Bootable Rescue CD which will contain Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director Suite at the moment. This feature will be implemented in the nearest future certainly.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

7. ptr727

ptr727 Registered Member

Ok, I look forward to see this feature in future versions.

Where should DD be installed to be used by TI, or stated another way, where does TI look for the DD files?
    E.g. if I have multiple Windows OS installations on the same drive, and I am running TI from the secure zone, how does TI know where to find DD?
    Is it not possible to copy the DD files to the secure zone or some other partition so that TI can call them?

Regards
    Pieter

8. Acronis Support

Hello Pieter,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that you will not be able to run Acronis Disk Director Suite while booting Acronis True Image by means of Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. This is impossible at the moment.

You are able to boot each of the programs from Acronis OS Selector, but not one from the other.

When the above mentioned feature of Acronis Bootable Media Builder will be implemented then you will be able to choose what program to run from this media (the screen similar to that where you choose whether to boot into safe or full mode).

You cannot copy some of the files of Acronis Disk Director Suite in order to be able to run it from Acronis OS Selector. It should be fully installed under Windows. It does not matter where you install it, Acronis Os Selector will find it.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.