Installing Security Update for Windows 7 (KB977165)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JeremyWW, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Just a heads up - I had a real issue with installing the above this morning (machine hung twice on reboot after attempting to install). Did a bit of 'googling' and tried disabling NOD32 real-time protection while installing. Rebooted - no problem.

2. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

I'm encountering similar problems rebuilding brand new Windows 7 machines. Computer locks up on the shutdown part of the reboot after applying all of the Windows Updates.

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I had to do a forced shutdown on my Win7 test machine, but 977165 was not a patch we were releasing for this month. 980846, 890830, 982670, 982519, 982526, 2032276, 981078, and 915597 this cycle.

4. xkyborg

xkyborg Registered Member

It is allways better to disable ESET Antivirus or any other AV software before installing Windows Updates, because all third-party software (especially AV) can interfere with successful installation.

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

That would be nice, but when you're pushing out updates to hundreds of clients in an enterprise environment that isn't an option. OS updates are too critical to day to day operations and AV software should never be interfering with that.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

It would appear that Windows 7 has a recent patching issue that may or may not require disabling your AV while these patches are applied. This should not be the case as I would not disable my AV while patching my machine.

For those of you that have continuing or unresolved issues from today or previous, please see the below link for your contact options to MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

MS has a 24 hour no-charge line for security patching issues, I suggest it be used.

MS PC Safety 1-866-727-2338

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm willing to bet it's an ESET hooking issue, patching works fine here.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.