Installing Other Programs

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Rico, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

Just upgraded Roboform, & was prompted to death, multiple allows, in order to get Roboform upgraded.

Is there a downside to choosing "Disable" in RD then upgrading, then going back to "RD Standard?"

If you lose sacrafice something by using disable, then RD should have a learning mode like PG!

Thanks
    rico

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Hi Rico,

:D I just went through that this AM¹.

I have done upgrades both ways, but will always disable RD when doing an XP update. The only downside I can see to disabling is you do not see what is happening to the registry. But like you said about the RoboForm upgrade there can be a lot of alerts to work through. I guess it comes down to user preference, and how much you trust the vendor of the program.

¹ As an experiment, on one computer I disabled RD and on the other one I went through the Alerts clicking remember and allowing them. I then went into the configure window and setup a RoboForm Update Application Rule Group, I'll see how it works for the next update.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Disciple, And thanks for responding, GO Braves! RD should have a learning mode. Geez! IE-Spyad drove me nuts trying to install with RD on.

Thanks Again
    rico

Or perhaps I should say GO Angels

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Rico,

Try creating an application group for IE-SPYAD2 (which actually uses regedit.exe to modify the registry) and include the two rules shown below. Make sure this group is placed above any existing regedit.exe group you may have. If you still use IE-SPYAD1, you will have to substitute HKEY_CURRENT_USER for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the rules. This should eliminate all the RD alerts.

Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

with the second rule highlighted...I would enable this group only when using IE-SPYAD. Since it applies to regedit.exe, other processes could execute regedit.exe and do the same thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  6. Disciple

Your welcome. For IE-Spyad I disabled RD knowing there are going to be hundreds (?) of changes to the registry. Though nicks does have the right idea about creating a rule for regedit to allow the changes.

[OT] Thanks for the GO Braves, although their bullpen may keep them from going much further. I know LAA would like to clinch at home but I would love to see them win today/night in NY, so yea GO Angels. [/OT]

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Disable RegDefend o_O
    I only have the option to 'exit' and when I did this after (not a lot of fun....with IE-Spyad :rolleyes: although I did get round this one with help from the forum) I know this is most likely very obvious but how do I just disable?

I tried Exit but then when I went to add the entries message to tell me could not access registry - opened RD again and was able to merge.

Do I have to stop running at startup for a complete disable if I know somehting is going to have me clicking quite a lot?

IE-Spyad works for me now following the advice given in my other post (deleting the always allow afterwards) but I really would like to know how to disable & still have access to the registry :oops:

8. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Hi Robyn,

If you are using version 2.0, you disable it by selecting 'Disabled' in the drop down box in the top right hand corner of the GUI (main tab).

Choosing 'Exit' won't disable RD since it will still run in the background and will block without prompting you!

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks TopperID
    I am not using my main computer just now to look for the disable, it is version 2 and I thought I had looked everywhere :oops:
    I will check for this option when I boot the computer with RD installed tomorrow (hope it is there!!)

10. Disciple

Hi Robyn,

Just to help clarify TopperID's instructions on disabling RD, here is a screenshot of were you need to look. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

11. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you Disciple :)
    I am on my RD computer now and can't believe I missed this little bit :oops:

Really appreciate this extra help now I know I can disable!

12. Disciple

Your welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.