Installing new motherboard

Discussion in 'hardware' started by djg05, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I feel I know the answer to this but am feeling lazy.

Is it possible when installing a new motherboard to install XP over the top to the existing install, or should I do a completely fresh install? It is a fairly recent install so there is no need to clean out any rubbish.

The same question about Ubuntu. Can the same be done with that as well. Thought if I install from the Live CD then it will find the original partitions and update the drivers.

Thanks

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

It always slower if you install over the top. Why don't you do this? It won't touch your existing XP. It will be faster with your new motherboard. It gives you a new XP, once you in this new XP drag from the old XP the relevent data from Documents & Settings and anything else. Certain programs will have to be reinstalled again that update registry and copy files into windows folder. Delete the other XP folder.
    :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if your using an oem license its illegal to change the motherboard and may need to ring ms and explain somehow....

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Mark - will do it that way.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

No I bought XP separately, but thanks for pointing that out.

6. osip

osip Registered Member

I recently changed motherboard from fujitsu to aspack and my xp pro was totally accepted...the progs installed as well...I was told that it could be that I have to reinstall and put in the license but there was no need to do that..

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

8. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

If the motherboard is of the same chipset, or you upgraded from an Intel to Intel then you can sometimes get away with it depending what drivers are installed. if you go from Intel to AMD or vice versa then no. The SATA drivers and power management is what ruins it.

@djg05

once you in the new XP turn on show all files and drag your My Documents out of your user account under Documents & Settings. You might have to get any bookmarks from Firefox or what browser you use. Go into your Program Files folder and delete all the software folders that won't work in your new XP and install them again. For the ones that still work without reinstalling create shortcuts to the folders in the Start Menu and edit the boot.ini file and remove the last line which removes the dual boot of the old windows then disable show all files when you salvaged everything :thumb:.

@osipi
    Welcome Back to Wilders :cool:.

9. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, intel to intel, chipset 865G, socket 478...

M-moo:argh:

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks All

It is going AMD to AMD but from Athlon XP to dual core and from IDE to SATA, so yes, a fresh install will be the route to take. It was just the hassle of installing all the s/w again I was trying to avoid, but I know deep down that it will prove the quicker route in the end.

Thanks for all the input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.