Installing multi-boot Win 7 64-bit system

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Retarius, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retarius

Retarius Registered Member

I have had Paragon Partition manager version 8.5, build 3610 (02.11.07 ) Personal and Paragon Hard Disk Manager, version 2008., build 3666 (10.11.07 ) Suite for the past 2 years, and have been using them with an XP Home 32-bit system. I have 3 500GB drives. 2 are a RAID 1 pair (Intel motherboard RAID), and the third drive is an independent volume. I have been running a dual-boot system, with both bootable partitions XP 32-bit.

I will be adding in the future a new pair of 500 GB drives, also organized as a RAID 1 pair. I will be installing Windows 7 64-bit on them. I plan to create 2 bootable partitions on the new drives. I would like to organize bootable partitions as follows:

1. Win 7 64-bit (new RAID 1)
    2. Win 7 64-bit (new RAID 1, but different partition than #1)
    3. Win XP 32-bit (old RAID 1)

I will be migrating everything from the 2nd XP 32-bit RAID 1 partition to #2 above, and using the freed up space on the old RAID 1 for backup/archive.

Questions:
    - will the Partition Manager and Hard Disk suite versions I have above do what I want?

- If not, is there a newer product that I need to do this?

- What would be the installation process for the new RAID 1 disks? I assume:
    1. Configure new disks as RAID 1 pair with Intel driver
    2. Install Win 7 64-bit to new RAID 1 pair
    3. Use Paragon cloning feature to create 2nd bootable Win 7 64-bit partition on new RAID 1 pair
    4. As I understand it, this would create a Boot manager with the 2 Win 7 64-bit partitions. But how to add the 3rd partition that is old RAID 1 XP 32-bit?

Thankoo so much,
    Retarius

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Retarius,

I want to mention that the older products like PM 8/9 and HDM 2008/2009 boot manager do not recognize Windows 7. So if you plan to use the boot manager as your primary boot method, you will need to install the boot manager from Partition Manager 10. Alternatively, there is a program called EasyBCD that can assist you with adding multiple entries to the BCD for multibooting purposes.

To save time, I would recommend creating the separate partitions prior to installing Windows 7. After creating the new Raid 1 array in the raid utility, use Partition Manager from the recovery CD to create the new partitions. Install Windows. This saves time from having to resize.

Here's what I would do:

1. Before setting up the new Raid 1, backup the OLD raid 1 operating system (XP) to your independent volume as an archive (do not clone).
    2. Remove the existing Raid 1, install the new raid 1 hard drives, boot to your raid utility BIOS, create the new array.
    3. Boot to Paragon Recovery CD, pre-allocate three new partitions onto the new raid 1. Restore the XP system to your third partition.
    4. Reboot with Windows 7 installation CD, install to 1st or 2nd partition.

If you decide to use boot manager, you'll need PM 10. If not, install EasyBCD, and add the entries for the 2nd Win7 and XP OS. Make sure all your flags are correct, (active, hide/unhide)

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

4. Retarius

Tommy/Si,

Thanks so much for the valuable information. If I buy PM 10, will it recognize and control partitions on the old RAID 1 and archive drives?

Thanks,
    Ret

5. Retarius

One question - will the backup function in PM 10 be able to do the backup (step 1) and restore (step 3) functions, or is a different product needed?

Thanks,
    Retarius

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

The Paragon Backup and Restore features are included in PM10. There is no sceduling included - you need Drive Backup products for that.

PM10 Personal has fewer options in the backup process.

PM10 Pro allows advanced options - such as choosing compression levels.

You should not need an additional product to do Tommy's step 1 and 3.

7. Retarius

Thanks SIW2!

8. Retarius

>Before setting up the new Raid 1, backup the OLD raid 1 operating system (XP) to your independent volume as an archive (do not clone).

I used the "Copy Partition" feature in HDM 2008. Does this create an "archive" or a "clone"? If a "clone", then what do I need to use to create an "archive"?

Thnx,
    Retarius

9. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That's a clone.

An Image is created using the Backup Wizard:

Click Wizards>Backup Disk or partition. ( Or rt click the partition and select Backup)

Tick the Advanced box and set options there - normal compression works well. Untick image splitting ( unless you want to store the image on dvd ).

Hope it helps.

10. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Retarius,

The copy partition feature creates an exact clone of the partition. I recommend using the "Backup disk or partition" feature and selecting the partition you need to backup, this will create the archived backup file (.PBF) that you will then be able to restore to the new raid 1.

Hope this helps.

11. Retarius

Guys,

I carefully checked both products I have: Paragon Partition manager version 8.5, build 3610 (02.11.07 ) Personal and Paragon Hard Disk Manager, version 2008., build 3666 (10.11.07 ), and neither one supports "Backup disk" or "Backup partition" functionality.

If I purchase Partition Manager 10, will it be able to Backup partitions? If not, what would I need to do that?

Thanks,
    Retarius

12. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Partition Manager 10 does have a simple backup utility where you can make a complete image of your hard drives. There's no scheduling or differential backup compatibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.