~Installing Linux~

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dog, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi all, ;)

Well the time has come for this dog to learn a few new tricks. :p I'm gonna dive into installing Linux on my box. So I have a few questions.

If possible ~Please~ provide the What, why, how's etc. (links too)

1. Which version should I use? (I'm looking for one with a good Graphical Interface)

2. What's a good open source software site, for Linux Apps?

3. As far a security goes ... what are some of my options? (Av's, FW's, etc.)

4. In regards to Dual Booting Windows & Linux ... What should I know?

5. Are there any ~quirky~ things about Linux in general I should know about?

6. What's a Good Support Forum?​

TIA, ;)

Steve

Ps. If I missed anything at all, and you have info regarding it. Post away, I'd like to learn everything I can. ;)

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I' would suggest either SuSE Personal or Fedora Core 3 :) I have used them and liked them. However, I placed them on an old PC instead of the main PC.

Jimbob

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Have you checked out Knoppix? It just runs from a CD, so until you can get some real answers, it would at least let you get familiar with the UI. As far as which distro to use, my knowledge is limited but what I've gleaned so far is that Mandrake is one of the more user friendly "out of the box", but Debian is more well organized and easier to use after you've got the hang of it all (more to learn in the beginning, though.)

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Dog!

I can advise you SUSE Linux Professional 9.2

Why?

Take a look at the review here, is very complete.

5. Jimbob1989

Steve, are you planning to pay any money or are you looking for a free version? as SuSE pro will have a price right?

Jimbob

6. Jimbob1989

Also a free distro gives you the freedome to change around and have a play with the different distro's available.

Jimbob

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi Guys, ;)

So far I've Dl'd Ubuntu ~warty~ (Live & Install), SuSE Personal 9.1, and Knoppix 3.7.

I'll have to burn the .iso's, and test them out.

Boy, there sure is a lot of stuff to learn ... I "googled" my way to tons of resources. :D

I'll hit the books, if I run into trouble ... but other than that ... I'm diving right into it ... No better way to learn other than "Trial & Error" :p ~I love trouble~ :D

Steve

8. dog

dog Guest

Update:

Well ... I backed up everything nessecary (a few hours work :p). Then re-sized a few partitions and created a new bootable partition on one of my secondary physical drives to install Linux on. ;)

Now, I've just to ~flip~ a coin and pick which one. :p

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

9. Jimbob1989

I'd choose SuSE.

Jimbob

10. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Both, Suse and Ubuntu are great distro's. Installing should give you no headaches.
    As far as I can see there are two major differences between them:
    Ubuntu is a Debian based distro. That means that the software distribution is based on APT (Advanced Packaging Tool). This is a great resource management tool. Suse is based on RPM (red hat package management). Both tools aid in installing software and manage dependencies between the different components and versions. APT seems more adequate for this purpose. Synaptic is the graphical interface to help apt users.
    Suse on the other hand has it's own tools, YAST being the most advanced.

Ubuntu defaults to the Gnome window manager, Suse defaults to KDE. I prefer Gnome: KDE definately has a MS Windows style, but since I decided to defect, I preferred another look and feel as well. Gnome is nice.

There are more differences, though. If you plan to use a laptop with all kinds of power saving functions, then there is no good alternative for Suse (I believe Xandros is close).
    Ubuntu is very much APT based. Although you can use all .deb packages, in order to stay close to ubuntu versions, you better not install non ubuntu packages, apt might get confused. No big deal, but I'm still on firefox 0.9.3. Waiting eagerly for the new ubuntu release in april.

I prefer ubuntu at this time, apt and gnome are big selling points. Besides, the community is very helpfull. But you can't go wrong with either of them.

11. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Guys, ;)

LOL ... I've finally decided :blink: ... I'm gonna install Mandrake, at first at least. :p

It'll be a couple of days before I have time to install it, but I'll report back how it goes and what I think of it.

If anyone wants to see/learn more about Mandrake Linux. Here's their Homepage: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/

Steve

ps. I found a pretty fast FTP ... it's pumping it a 290kbs :D ~Sweet~ ... Large DL though 2GB and change.

12. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... Dog needs help!!!

I tried to install ... SuSE 9.1 (because I had issues DL'ing Mandrake) ...

& I've got a small problem. :D

My PC won't boot ... the default SuSE boot loader just hangs like this ...

Code:
    GRUB_
    I tried the LILO boot loader but I get nothing but errors.

So I need some help and advice ... ~Please~ (I'm only currently online because I'm using Ubuntu Live)

What do I need to do?

Steve

13. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... a bump for LWM & BigC :D

:ninja: :D ~Dog needs help~ :D ~Bail Me Out~ :D :ninja:

Pretty Pretty Please.

Steve

Ps. I'm gonna hit the sac, and get some rest ... but I'll be back tonight. :D

14. dog

dog Guest

I fixed it!!!!!!!

I'm on with XP ATM. :D

Changed two settings in the bios - Fast Boot ... switched to off, and Second HHD to Auto (which was off) ... I'm not sure which one did it ... I'll check around later :p

Thanks So Much for all your efforts Ron. ;) ;) ~ I owe you big~ ;) ~Breakfast on me!~

Thanks My Friend. ;)

Steve

LOL ... My No Fear - Never Give Up Attitude is turning me into a little bit of an Expert :p ... and YES ... ~I Love Trouble~ :D

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2005
  15. Jimbob1989

Have you set up one PC to dual boot steve?

Jimbob

16. dog

dog Guest

Yup ... it's up and going now. ;) I'll have to post a couple of screenies ... later ... I've got to hit the sac, and get some sleep, before I head to work tonight. ;)

Graphically, it looks Pretty Sweet. ;) (SuSE 9.1)

Steve

17. Jimbob1989

I know, I have it myself on an old PC. Thought I would have a play and placed it on there a few months ago. Its a nice Operating System to play around with. Who knows, you might find you prefer it to XP.

Jimbob

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am reading this thread with special interest and have one question. There is an upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 (Suse), is this a free upgrade?
    TIA,

Gerard

19. Jimbob1989

You can update using a similar method to windows I think.

Jimbob

20. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And you can download the full version, it will do an upgrade (although you only reach the upgrade option a few screens in the install process.

Alternative: the upgrade via APT

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

22. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Gerard, ... Nice Link.

It does have an update step, while installing. I skipped it though as I was pressed for time. I'll have to go back and look at it. ;)

Thanks Again for Everyones help. ;)

Steve

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just received a three disc set of Novell Linux Desktop version 9.-- powered by suse linux It looks pretty good and it is a full version ready to go. I think I will install it and give it a try.

bigc

24. dog

dog Guest

Hey BigC, ;)

Mandrake looks pretty good too. It was the one I had the intention to install (3 CD/ 1 DVD), the DL is 2 GB and change ... I found a couple of pretty fast FTP's (ave. 300kbs) but they all crapped out @ just over a gig o_O I couldn't ever resume the DL ... I tried 4 times total (2 different FTP's) without any luck ... I will still continue to try and DL it. LOL, that is after all why I spend the bucks on the extra bandwidth. :p :D

There's a link in a post above if you want to check it out.

Steve

25. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Since we're at it: hundreds of distro's for all kinds of purposes, there's more than the big three or four :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.