Installing ESET Smart Security.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by OliveTree, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliveTree

OliveTree Registered Member

I am experiencing issues installing a new copy of a three PC ESET Smart Sec 5.

The three machines all use differing operating systems; XP Pro, Vista and Seven.

The software doesn't want to install on any of them. With the XP machine, the installation seems to work, but the computer then becomes extremely slow. With the Vista machine, the software will not even install. Instead I am informed that the Windows Installer does not work. I have not had any difficulty installing other software.

And with the Seven machine, I get the error code 2878. I had tried to look this up on ESET's website, but I have had no success.

Given the fact that this software is failing to install on all three computers, I am wondering if I just have a bad disk.

Any thoughts on this matter? I have used ESET in the past and have never had any difficulty before.

Thank the forum in advance.

Regards,

The Tree.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

4. OliveTree

Thanks to all who responded. I will try the uninstall and reinstall from Safe Mode.

Of course, this only applies to the Seven machine with the 2878 error.

On the XP Pro machine, I have not yet tried anything from Safe Mode, but I did completely disable Windows Firewall and attempted to reinstall ESET again.

The installer stops and swears Norton Security is on this PC, though I know it is not, having removed it myself. It does not show up anywhere that I can see.

I can only guess there is some kind of shadow left over.

Anyway to remove whatever ghosts remain? From Safe Mode again?

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi OliveTree

(Regarding your xp) As you wrote, there may be leftovers from the uninstallation process. Such as corrupted registry keys and useless files and folder from Norton Internet Security 2012 left in your computer, which obviously preventing you from installing Eset. Sorry, but i have no knowledge about what leftovers Norton would leave back in you system.
    Just one suggestion, have you tried to download " ESET SysInspector " it can show you reg.keys drivers and so on. When the program starts see the upper right corner. From there you will be able to search names like norton/symantec, and hopefully SysInspector will reveal any leftovers from Norton.
    Link to ESET SysInspector: http://www.eset.com/support/sysinspector/
    cheers, Janus

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

PM with instructions sent.

7. OliveTree

Well, I am not done yet, but I think I may have solved the problem, and I now suspect that the problem was pretty much the same on all three PCs.

Call it a haunting by the ghosts of Norton Internet Sec.

ESET 5 seems able to see beyond the cyber veil and recognize the shades of Norton even when Norton has been removed.

As per the response of someone else who had had this same problem, I downloaded and installed CC Cleaner and ran it. And it found tiny traces of Norton. Following the removel of said traces, ESET seems to intall just fine.

One PC down, two to go.

Thanks for all th help.

Odd that I never had this problem with ESET 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.