Installing a firewall for my home network

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I have a home network here at my house with 4 other PCs other than the main computer that has the DSL modem/Linksys router. And I am wondering if installing a software firewall such as Outpost would be a good idea or not really. I would think it would interfere with things and some of the computers may lose connectivity to the Internet and so forth but that's what I am trying to ask... is if you think just having a Linksys router will do the job of keeping hackers out without a software firewall installed on all of the PCs.

Thanks a lot,

Gracie :)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If 10 people respond you will get 10 different answers. I personally have firewalls on both my computers. That way should somehow someone were to get on my network with an infected computer my two computers are still protected. If they aren't wireless then that obviously wouldn't apply, although if someone downloaded and install something that infected one computer the others are still protected. Then there is the outbound issue.

Pete

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Hi Gracie,

Your router provides good inbound protection, but neither it nor WinXP(SP2)'s firewall provide outbound protection. In other words, your router will protect your PCs and applications from outside attacks, but without a software firewall (one that provides outbound protection) you can't prevent malicious malware (and even some non-malicious but nevertheless snooping applications) from "calling home"!

Outbound traffic protection takes initial training (allowing/denying the access when the firewall presents you with a popup question. Most of that is straight-forward and once trained you shouldn't be bothered again with the same popup. If you use one of the popular firewalls, there will always be someone around here that can help you should you experience difficulty connecting to the internet.

So it all boils down to the level of security you want on your network and the effort that it's worth, or not worth, to you.

hth, pv

4. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi Pete and pv,

I appreciate both your replies and I have considered both...

I am just seeking good inbound protection and wondering if the router is enough, if so.. then great :) but if not, then please let me know if I should use a software firewall.

Thanks!

Gracie

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I would say so Gracie, but on every PC running WinXP SP2 (if any) you would be best advised to enable the built-in firewall as well. Together with the router, that would give you 'iron-clad' inbound protection. ~pv

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

If you trust your network completely and have implemented the proper security measures to secure your internal network from intrusion, then no. But, it is always a good idea incase one machine gets a worm and all of a sudden your network exists no more :eek:

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.