Installed SUSE 10.1....experiencing problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sosaiso, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

First off, disable widgets if you want to minimize cpu usage, they suck it up like no tomorrow a lot of the time. Secondly, don't use kde, and switch from a desktop environment to a window manager like fluxbox, xfce, iceWM, etc.

Then, try to limit using high resource usage apps and go on to smaller and more effecient ones.

Hope this will help your cpu usage problem which really shouldn't be happening unless you have some kind of water cooling or a very very good fan.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser, that was the exact thread that got me looking at Guarddog in the first place! haha, but no avail as to the installation process for 10.1. Am going to start looking into the SMART Repositories tonight.

As for the memory usage, I have yet to figure out how to actually figure out the real processor usage. I'm looking at the various monitors, and none that show me what I really want to know. The Gnome System Monitor is as close as to how Task Manager used to look, and that is something I am familiar with. I am going to do a bit more of reading into what is causing problems, and if they're actually causing problems. I'll definately be looking into low resource alternatives for the time being. Thanks for the suggestions.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@Alphalutra1 - whats a window manager and how is it different from a desktop environment?

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

A windows manager is basically a very basic desktop environment. What I mean by this is the it allows you to have a menu similar to the start menu for windows, you can move and manipulate windows of multiple gui applications, and that is about it. A desktop environment includes multiple applications, libraries, and other things that while may be nice eye candy, takes up a lot of space and causes the user to have apps that he/she may not want or need and thus have to unistall them.

here and here are some threads at the ubuntu forum about it. They do a much better job at explaining then I do.

Personally, I prefer WM's (preferably fluxbox). They are extremely lightweight, and don't install any thing that I personally don't want on my hardrive. I can chose me internet browser, e-mail client, etc. to what suits me. Also, they can be made to look just as good or better than desktop environments with their huge number of configuration options.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the gnome system monitor should be fine to use. i have it on a panel - right-click a panel>Add to Panel>System Monitor. then i right-click>Preferences and select Network too, but that's just me.

if you click on the applet and launch the system monitor, then click on View>All Processes - that will show everything, not just 'your' processes, then you can select Dependencies too. they are the settings i use.

there's also the top command.

if you are going to install smart you can follow these instructions if you want. just make sure to copy the links correctly because they will be shorted in the post!!

open terminal
    su
    rpm -ihv ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirrors/ftp.ope...L-10.1/inst-source/suse/i586/rpm-python-*.rpm

rpm -ihv http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/suser-guru/rpm/packages/System/smart/smart-0.42-9.guru.suse101.i686.rpm

smart update

smart install smart-gui

then to run it -

smart --gui

to search for a program do -
    edit>find

the first time you download something from one of the repositories you have to import a key.

6. sosaiso

Installed smart the other day. It's WAY more faster than YAST. I guess because it doesn't do as much checking as YAST, but having YAST run for about 30 minutes before being able to even search for a package was a little slow for me.

Got rid of the Zen-Updater as well.
    Right-click updater icon --> Unchecked the run at startup.

Installed ksmarttray. I don't remember the exact process, but I do remember that it was fairly easy, and able to be done through SMART. Ran that for the first time, choose "ignore" when it asked for a root password, and it runs everytime I boot up. [Hopefully I didn't do anything wrong here. But it alerted me to a few updates yesterday, so I'm 65% certain I didn't do anything wrong.]

Going to see about my Nvidia drivers later tonight seeing as to how iceni60 posted a simple guide to follow here.

7. sosaiso

Installed Nvidia drivers following iceni60's post, but did everything through YAST. Did not go into "init 3" or anything.

Just added the download.nvidia.com to my ftp installation source, went into "Software Management" and did a search for Nvidia.

Found the two packages, finally realized after awhile I was running "default" and let that run for about 30 minutes.

Rebooted.

And there was my Nvidia 3d support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.