Installed new Windows but no internet acces?...help!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tru_Snoop, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hey guys;

I own a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.
    Here are Specs:
    Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (1.70GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
    1GB Shared DDR2, 533MHZ 2 Dimm
    8x DVD+/-RW Drive
    60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
    Integrated 10/100 network card
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)
    128MB ATI mobility Radeon x300 Video Card

I had initially installed Windows Home (came with computer). My windows got crashed, probably of some virus or something. So I formatted the drive and installed "Windows XP Professional"

Now I can't access the internet. There is no wireless connection. There is no "Battery" Icon, no wireless icon, no other icons from Dell or anything.

How do I get my wireless working again? Also I tried ethernet cable, but internet still don't work.

I have Router "Linksys WRT54G". Internet works on desktop, but not on Laptop.

Help please
    thank you.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

did u install the proper drivers for ur wireless card and for the ethernet adapter?

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

PC WIZARD is useful for finding the correct drivers for your hardware.
    http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

After setting up a fresh copy of windows, there's a lot of work to be done when building a system from scratch. It's quite difficult easy only if you have the know-how. Since Windows XP Home came preinstalled on the computer, when you formatted you should've installed back the same old one.
    Where did your copy of Windows XP Professional come from? I don't believe a OEM would ship both versions of windows XP together with a computer.
    Special offer, promotion, or what?

The copy of windows xp professional is a blank one and I assume it does not have the correct things in it. It does NOT have the drivers for any device inside it or any fancy details by Dell because it is a original copy of Windows not customised by the OEM in any way thus it does not have the required features. I suggest that you take some trouble to reformat and install back the original version of windows that came with your computer.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  5. VIPER99

VIPER99 Registered Member

If its a Dell its your network drivers. I have noticed doing many many reinstalls on dells that there are usually three things missing after reinstall:
    1. Network Drivers
    2. Multimedia
    3. Audio

To verify this you can right click your "My Computer" Icon and go to properties.
    From there select Hardware then device manager.

You will likely see atleast the first item in the list with an exclamation point beside it.

Unfortunately you will have to get online and go to the dell website and select support. From there you will have to select your system and that you are looking for drivers. You will be able to locate the driver in the list.

Problem with this is your computer is unable to get to this site because you can't get on the inet with out the drivers. (kind of funny if you ask me). The rest is up to you.

Oh here's one more thing
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000&os=WW1&osl=EN
    This should lead you to the Dell site with the drivers of your particular laptop
    I hope this helps

VIPER99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.