Installed Kaspersky and now it won't auto load on startup

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Msladybug02, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Some of the problems you are now seeing may or may not be due to the new network attack module in KAV 5.

There are too many unknown variables now on your system.

Have a look at this thread; http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9670

Personally, I would try and remove all of NAV first, before installing KAV. There then is a number of tweaks you need to do with this AV!

If all else fails, a reformat and installing KAV on a completely clean system maybe the only resort left!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. mikky

mikky Guest

Download and install the free application Total Uninstall(as suggested).
    Uninstall KAV.
    Reinstall NAV using Total Uninstall.
    Uninstall NAV using it's own uninstaller.
    Uninstall NAV using Total Uninstall.

Now your system should be clean of all NAV files.
    Run HiJackThis and see if there is anything associated with NAV in the log file. If there is then posting the HijackThis log at DSLR as suggested is a good move. They will tell you how to get rid of the NAV stuff by reviewing your log.

Once all NAV remains have gone. Reinstall KAV using Total Uninstall(just in case you ever want to uninstall it in the future).

Once you have done all this, let us know and the KAV tweaking can then take place.

Good luck.

M

3. Msladybug02

Msladybug02 Registered Member

Ok, I read that report, did see some things that related to my system slowing down greatly. 2 AV's clashing trying to execute.
    I did what you said, Well, KAV decided to not let me into the control panel of it's software any longer and I had to go in startup and disable before it would let me remove it.
    1. Unistalled KAV
    2. I have now reinstalled NAV "using" the TU utility
    Strange thing is now NAV works fine...before, when I uninstalled and reinstalled "trying" to get NAVAPW32 off of my system, it was loading funny,... not letting the auto protect feature come on.....not letting redirector install...a whole mess of errors. Now you can't even tell there was a problem based on everything loading just fine..hmmm
    3. I am going to UNinstall NAV now using it's own uninstall tool and using TU to get everything off. (now I'm nervous)
    I will post my findings, wish me luck,

"It can't get any worse, can it?" :doubt:

4. Msladybug02

Quick question...while I'm doing all of this..should I make sure that the WIndows Firewall feature in the security area, is ENABLED or DISABLED? o_O

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I would definately keep it enabled (if you haven't got another firewall installed) :)

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Now she tells us!!!! IGNORE KAV. Keep things as they are now, NAV is a wonderful AV :D :D :D :D

We are keeping everything, including our fingers crossed!!!

7. Msladybug02

Ok, wait, wait.. ;) I was following the directions to reinstall, even though I tried that before, but this time it actually worked and NAV is running fine. From all of my late nights of reading and comparing KAV against NAV, KAV was the better AV program. I ran a KAV scan when I first installed it (I mentioned it on my earlier posts) and it found 2 trojans and a trojan installer that MY NAV and Zonealarm let slide through.
    I still want to get NAV off of my system because I want better protection that KAV could provide. :doubt:

"I've seen the light, now there's no going back"

I do believe with all of the great advice that everyone has given (thanks) and the many utilities that you have told me to download and run, THAT is the only reason it's running fine. But I DO want it off cleanly. The reason why I'm still following the advice is, I purchased NAV 2004 Pro last week during one of the installation fiascos trying to remove 2002 to let 2004 on the system. Spent good money,and it would not run without MANY errors. To have a piece of software that I can never upgrade is a waste and I want an EFFECTIVE AV program that I feel will find everything. It's not a good feeling when you buy a newer version and it won't even install correctly on the system. I mean the 2002 would not run properly and kept leaving behind that one file..

So my one question to everyone that has helped me is:

Given ALL of the problems that NAV has given me, lack of protection (had trojans), and the fact that I can't run the 2004 Norton that I purchased last week, "What is everyones's thoughts?"
    1. Do I proceed to uninstall NAV and use the uninstall tool and install KAV again?
    What software or utilites do you recommend I keep and use?
    I have downloaded EVERYTHING that Black Cat has told me to except Hijackthis due to a miraculous recovery of NAV.
    :blink:
    My machine HAS to be possesed,...evil spirits and such. :D

8. muf

muf Registered Member

Well, my way of thinking is this. You either go ahead and uninstall NAV and re-install KAV using the suggested methods, or you can purchase an Anti-trojan to compliment NAV. There are plenty to choose from. BOClean, Ewido, trojanhunter, TDS3 to name a few. I am currently trialling nod32 and am a registered user of BOClean. I also use KAV 4.5. BOClean has played well with both these AV's. I've also tried F-Prot, AVG 7, Avast, Command and Bitdefender. BOClean did not cause any problems. I'm sure Ewido, TDS3 and Trojanhunter would play well with many AV's as well. So there you have it. Either keep NAV and find an Anti-trojan that plays well with it on your system. Or dump NAV and install KAV. Remember, it was trojans that KAV found, and that is an area that a dedicated Anti-trojan excels. It just so happens that KAV is fantastic at detecting trojans as well. Apart from KAV and McAfee, i would say(as it currently stands)that all the other Anti-virus applications need a dedicated Anti-trojan running with them.

muf

9. Msladybug02

OK, wow, Quite a list..you named so many and I'm still fairly new to AV issues, because up until now, it's run very well, but I was beginning to feel a false reasurance, because of what KAV found.
    Say I keep NAV, (not sure yet) out of that huge list, what do you recommend I use from your experience?

The same for KAV.

10. muf

muf Registered Member

Let me first highlight what these Anti-trojans can provide.

BOClean - Real Time Monitor(RTM) only. Meaning that it sits in your system tray watching for trojans that are executed. It nails them immediately, it uses extremely low resources and is a doddle to use. It's been around since Adam was a lad, so they know their stuff. It does not have a trial version available but they offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. http://www.nsclean.com/boclean.html

Ewido - RTM and file scanning capabilities. This is a relatively new Anti-trojan but is right up there with the best of them already. It will protect your pc in real time(like BOClean does) and has the added benefit of a file scanner. So you can scan your hard drive to see if there is any dormant trojans sat there waiting to be executed. It is constantly being improved. They offer a trial version, so you can try before you buy. http://www.ewido.net/en/?

TDS3 - RTM and file scanning capabilities. This is a long established Anti-trojan. It will protect your pc in real time and has the added benefit of a file scanner. It also has a lot(and i mean a lot) of other capabilities. I'm not even going to begin to tell you the extra's. This is not a product review after all. ;) Best take a look at their website and click on 'features' for a breakdown of it's capabilities. But needless to say, it's without doubt the most comprehensive Anti-trojan of the lot. If you want bells and whistles, it's got them in spades. It can be a bit overwhelming for a newcomer, but it's definitely a real work of art. They offer a trial version, so you can try before you buy. http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=home

Trojanhunter - RTM and file scanning capabilities. Not as long established as BOClean or TDS3 but it's been around for a few years now. It is constantly being improved and is very easy to use. This is what i would say is the easiest Anti-trojan(with file scanning)to use but provides comprehensive protection at the same time. In a recent poll at DSLR asking which Anti-trojan people use, Trojanhunter had the most votes http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12033520~mode=flat~viewpoll=1. This is not a recommendation that it's the best, but it gives you an idea of people's confidence in the product. They offer a trial version, so you can try before you buy. http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

One other thing i'd like to add, and it's very very important. All these application offer first class service. Most of the time they respond to question's/queries/malware analysis within hours. You can't go wrong with any of them. They each cover plenty more than just trojans. Spyware being one of the area's they also cover.

If you are not bothered about a file scanner and want something easy to use and light on resource then BOClean would be perfect. If you want a file scanner then Trojanhunter is the easiest to use, but Ewido covers a wider range of malware. If you want the biggest, baddest, most comprehensive protection with lots of toys to play with then it's TDS3.

Just my opinion, and in no way is to be taken as an endorsement of any of these application's.

muf

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  11. Msladybug02

I want to thank everyone for all of their excellent advice! I have kept Norton on now, since it decided to start working again, but not until "after" all of the steps I took to clean up a lot of files first.
    I have downloaded Trojanhunter and I'm VERY pleased with it. I plan on purchasing it due to the info given to me by the last few replies.

Thank you again. It really was hell getting that darn thing off of my system and in the end, it stayed. Something happened once I re installed the NAV 2002 and I'll stick to the great advice of:

"If it's not broke, don't fix it"

:D

12. Hello, I know that a little bug was inside a version of KASPERSKY ANTI VIRUS combined with Symantec, you cannot remove it and it's the bIG **** !
    you must send a mail to kaspersky and the suppert will send you the removal tool
    bye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.