Installation Wrecked Internet Connectibility

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ca1naj610, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ca1naj610

ca1naj610 Registered Member

Information:
    Windows XP SP3
    ESET Smart Security 5.2.9.1
    ESET modules installed--
    Virus Signature Database 7207
    Update Module 1040
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module 1357
    Advanced heuristics module 1121
    Archive support module 1146
    Cleaner module 1055
    Anti-Stealth support module 1030
    Personal firewall module 1079
    Antispam module 1021
    Eset sysinspector module 1224
    Real time file system protection module 1007
    Translation support module 1061P
    HIPS support module 1047P
    Internet protection module 1034
    Web content filter module 1017P
    Advanced antispam module 1035
    Database module 1020

Windows XP 32bit Ver 5.1.2600 SP3

"Personal Firewall Initialization Failed" is the message on Home page

I disabled the HTTP checking in the main setup

Could not find the "firewall integration mode" in the Main Setup page

To reproduce the problem is quite easy. Just invoke any browser.
    Both IE9 and Firefox 13.0 fail to connect.
    The "Network Connections" dialog box says that the Linksys 3000 router is connected.
    Also, a Windows 7 PC wireless connection works and so does a
    Windows Vista PC wired connection.

All I want is for my PC to connect to the internet.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

3. ca1naj610

Thanks, I didn't locate this thread as I looked through Eset postings. I'll give it a try today!

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest contacting Customer Care and supplying them with a SysInspector log so that they can check the status of network drivers. I wonder if you can ping some servers or if you can receive emails via POP3/IMAP fine.

5. ca1naj610

Hello Janus

That did it. After selecting the Protocol filtering settings and setting the personal firewall mode to interactive, my internet connection is fine!

Thanks!

6. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi
    Super :) , and thanks for the feedback.

7. maxone

maxone Guest

Hello,

I just had to add my experience.

I too updated recently from the last version of ESS to the 5.2.9.12 and didn't notice changes in my daily life at first... but then I had a lot more error with Chrome (had to do more F5 or CTRL+F5) and when I opened Google Drive (googledrivesync.exe) : Google Drive cannot connect to the Internet

At first, I did not connect it to ESS, well because I opened GD like one week after I updated ESS. And it had worked well with 5.0 version, firewall had the good rules...

But since I really did quite a lot install/unistall GD, clean with CCleaner... and nothing worked.

I thought, hell let's go see the Protocol Filtering feature... so I disabled the filtering of SSL and opened Google Drive... and it worked! So I added(ticket it) it in the Excluded Applications.

Then I tried with Chrome and since it happened that I had to do my tax online (In France) and had a lot of error (Bad Request - Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.), I tried to check it to the Excluded Applications... and then it worked like a charm.

So what... yes I upgraded from 5.0.95. I did not do a clean install.
    Well because it's more simple and because it's clearly stated that : ESET Smart Security 5.2 can be installed over older versions.
    See there: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=324179

Would that have done that with a clean install? Is that a known bug and for now it's clearly better to add you browsers in the exception list of protocol filtering?

Thank you in advance for any comment.

8. Marcos

1, SSL scanning hadn't worked with Google Chrome prior to v. 5.2
    2, in order for SSL scanning to work with GC, you must perform a clean installation of v. 5.2

Installation over an older version is possible although there can be very rare cases when a clean installation is needed.

9. maxone

maxone Guest

10. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey maxone
    Yes you can export your current settings to an xml.file for then to import them again, after the new install of Eset. (For doing so, go to " SetUp " in the menu. Then at the bottom of the page you will see the " import and export settings"). Personally I would probably run Eset uninstaller tool, if I have install and uninstall Eset multiple times. All that, just to be sure that there is no corrupted files left behind on the system.
    :) hope the best.

11. maxone

maxone Guest

Yes, well it was not by chance I spoke of saving my settings for import.

Just wanted to know if it was safe to do so, or better to let it go and do the config again.

But well, it's good to have some user feedback too.

Thx.

12. Marcos

Yes, that should be fine. However, I don't prefer importing settings from xml, especially in case when a user is experiencing issues as they might import a bad setting causing the issue to persist after the upgrade.

13. maxone

maxone Guest

Ok, thx, I will just make some screenshot of the my current advanced settings so I can use them when I re-install (Well, it's mostly to keep ESS silent, no popup...). For the rest, firewall rules... it will have to learn again.

Thx Again!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  14. maxone

maxone Guest

So I uninstalled ESS this morning. I did not use "ESETUninstaller.exe".

I used the Uninstall program coming with ESS. Then I went to see if there were still some folders left (%appdata%, Program Files...) and cleaned my registry with CCleaner.

Well, it did a pretty good job at uninstalling the app, there were still some folders, but they were empty.

Then I did the reinstall of ESET Smart Security Antivirus 5.2.9.12. I had downloaded the offline installer of the french version (MD5: 5c27491963f37d7f986f60ec9c91d121).

I used the advanced config, but at the end of the installation, the installer was stuck. All the files had been copied in the computer... but it was stuck on a window with a progress bar at 0%.

I then wanted to go check if there were similar case in this forum, but even thought I was connected to the internet, my browsers (FF, IE, Chrome) couldn't open any website.

I was then willing to cancel the installation but I thought otherwise.

What I did was to start Eset Smart Security from the Start Menu and the app started and a few popup from the firewall appeared to configure the Internet (the Zone Setup I think it is, I'm sorry I have the French version and am not sure of the translation of the feature: Public/House...) and allow internet access to some process (sorry, I should have taken some screenshot).

So I think it was the Zone setup or the process of the installer I must have allowed because then the installation finished just fine. I must have allowed the process of the browsers too because, no problem with them after that.

So all is well.

I then went to configure ESS.
    Just a question, by default in the Protocol Filtering settings of ESS, SSL analysis is disabled? Oh well, sure Google Drive have no problem to connect to the internet now XD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.