Installation problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ekw590, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekw590

ekw590 Registered Member

Several weeks ago I download Acronis True Image 11 upgrade for 9. The installation fails everytime I run through the sequence. Any thoughts on how I can trouble shoot the problem?

Evan

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What do you mean by 'it fails' ?

If the installer gets part way through and then rolls back - then delete all temporary files - follow the path in my signature.

You may need to uninstall v9 first. Make sure you have your serial # for v9 handy if you have purchased the upgrade version of TI 11.

Colin

3. ekw590

ekw590 Registered Member

Yes that's exactly what I mean. The installer gets part way through and then rolls back and says that the installation failed and I must restart the installer. I've deleteted all temporary files, history, etc. several time over and I'ave uninstalled & reinstalled V 9 also. what do you mean by "follow the path in my signature."

Evan

4. ekw590

ekw590 Registered Member

OK Tech support just sent me this:

If the problem persists and the checksum is correct please do the following:

1.Completely uninstall any previous version of Acronis True Image (including the trial version of the product). (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs).

2.Delete all files in \Documents and Settings\[Account Name]\Local Settings\Temp\ folder by running Disk Cleanup wizard from the system drive (e.g. C:) Properties (remember to check the Temporary Files checkbox).

3.Download the utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install and run it.

4.Select the Acronis product you are trying to install and hit Remove.

5.Try installing the product again.

The Checksum is OK so I've followed the instructions to 3. the MS utility except that there is no option to select and remove the Acronis producto_O

Please help me with this. I've been working on this for several weeks now. I don't understand why it should be so hard to install this.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The path in my signature : C:\Doc and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp.

Have you physically looked in the above folder? You need to have view hidden files and folders checked as well as system files.

Many programs leave crud behind here - TI seems to be sensitive to any left over installation files from other programs. I'd double check jus in case Disk Cleanup didn't get everything. Some files will not delete if they are locked by other programs.

I suggest, you continue on to steps 4 and 5 and see if your problem is solved.

Colin

6. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

Make sure your anti-virus program is disabled during the install.....

Good luck.

7. ekw590

ekw590 Registered Member

OK deleted the files here: C:\Doc and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp.

I have attached a pic of several temp files in the above folder that I can't delete. Can you tell me if these look like Acronis files that I need to delete. and if so what should I do?

One of the files is AcrA923.tmp

Evan

Attached Files:

8. ekw590

ekw590 Registered Member

I still can't install TI 11. I've been trying since December. This is way too hard. Any other suggestions before I take this up with my credit card company.

Evan

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I read your reply and then forgot to reply. Just as well I'm not on the Acronis pay roll :)

First - are you still trying to install over the top of v9 ? I'd suggest noting down your serial number and uninstalling it.

Those files do look like Acronis files, but I have to say I've never seen them on my system. If they are locked (which they must be as you can't delete them), is to either reboot into XP safe mode, or better still is to stop all the Acronis services in services.msc (start button \run\services.msc). If running stop scheduler2, timounter or any other Acronis stuff. You should then be able to delete those temp files.

I suggest that if you are a broadband person, disconnect from the Internet - stop your firewall and any other utility that runs in the background -

Could you perhaps post what OS you are using and if you run things like virtual drives or virtual machines, any registry change tracking software, malware or spyware trackers. If deleting those strange temp files doesn't solve it, then there must be something running in th ebackground that is interfering with the install. You can switch on logging for the TI installer - I think the link is in their FAQ's - alternatively if your installer is an msi interface, I think you can right click and choose logging - I'll have to check that when I get home.

Have your raised a support ticket with Acronis yet?

Colin

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Those aren't Acronis files, they're Adobe files. probably from the reader and not liekly to be the source of your problem.

If you think some prog is bothering the install, just use msconfig.exe to disable all the services and startup programs except windows services. do the install, then renable them.

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm suffering maaajoor brainfade. :rolleyes:

I need a holiday.

12. ekw590

ekw590 Registered Member

I liked to thank you for all your help. But the installation still rolls back and is unsuccessful. I've written to Tech support a second time. Here's what I done.

1. I uninstalled TI 9.0

2. I Deleted all files in \Documents and Settings\[Account Name]\Local Settings\Temp\ folder by running Disk Cleanup wizard from the system drive (e.g. C Properties (remember to check the Temporary Files checkbox).

And I've done it manually

3. Download the utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us, install and run it.

4. Select the Acronis product you are trying to install and hit Remove.

5. I've uninstalled my norton securty system and firewall.

6. I've run both CCleaner and EasyCleaner to clean and scrub out everything from my registry to temp files.

7. I've run MSconfig to disable all nonessential services.

Is there some step that I might be missing? I've never had this many problems installing any program before. I use windows XP

Evan

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Which XP sevice pack do you have installed?

Are there any other background utilities that might be still running in the background?

Do you have any non standard programs installed and running, such as virtual server, registry tracking, cryptokey software?

Is your copy of XP a bona fide one? Just checking as some 'strange' copies sometimes do weird things.

When you did the uninstall, have you performed a search through registry for all TrueImage entries?

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.