Installation on Windows 8

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by RCW139, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCW139

RCW139 Registered Member

I am having difficulties with SpywareBlaster on a new desktop with Windows 8 (64-bit) and IE 10. I am able to download the program and install it without any errors. It appears in my program list where I can successfully uninstall it (the modern version of Add/Remove programs).

My first attempt: After SpywareBlaster finished installing, I left the "run now" tick box selected -- my hard drive began running (the amber light turned solid, not even a flicker) and never stopped. My system was unresponsive; I could not bring up the task manager to end task, log off, ctrl+alt+del or click on anything. After a few minutes, I was forced to shut down with the power button.

My second attempt: I uninstalled the program, re-downloaded it and ran the setup again. This time, I unticked the box and restarted. When I tried to run SpywareBlaster, I had the same problem where the hard drive began running incessantly. Again, I was forced to shut down with the power button.

I downloaded the program from FileHippo the first time and MajorGeeks the second to rule out a corrupted file. The only other security software on my system is Eset Smart Security 5. I used the combination on my XP machine with zero issues.

I am almost afraid of trying again. Any suggestions on what is causing this? Thank you.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What other security/privacy applications do you have installed? (i.e. anti-virus, other anti-malware/spyware, security suites, firewalls, cleaning tools, etc.)

That's obviously a very weird symptom, and SpywareBlaster itself shouldn't be capable of causing that issue.

Best regards.

3. RCW139

RCW139 Registered Member

The computer came with Norton Internet Security preloaded. I uninstalled that and had to run the removal tool. I then installed Eset Smart Security 5. Next up, I tried to install SypwareBlaster and that's when I ran into the issue with the hard drive running.

Since then, I have added Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro. Right now, those two programs are all I have for security. No cleaning tools or disk management software are installed.

I checked my error logs. The only thing that showed up was my improper shut down.

4. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I've tried to install SpywareBlaster on my two Windows 8 computers but could not.
    I gave up because I don't wanna have any more crashes on Win8.
    When SpywareBlaster officially gets Windows 8 certification, I'll try it again.
    I used SpywareBlaster for many years on XP and Windows 7 computers without any problems.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Then look deeper into what is causing those crashes as it SB is unlikely to be a culprit. Runs just as well on Win8 as on other OS

6. zmechys

All my crashes have been caused by BitDefender Windows 8 Security Antivirus.
    SpywareBlaster did not cause any crashes.
    I'll try to install SP again.

7. zmechys

Finally, I was able to install SpywareBlaster on my Windows 8 computer.
    Just a question.
    Is it still beneficial to have SpywareBlaster installed, if I use Sandboxie?

8. Madness832

Madness832 Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. Upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 Pro. As soon as I try to launch SWB, the whole OS goes down w/ the solid disk light (as the OP stated). The desktop will disappear & leave me w/ a solid-blue or -black screen. I'm left w/ no choice but to use the reset button.

Tried an uninstall/reboot/fresh-download/reinstall, but it the same thing still happens.

The machine is also running Windows Defender, CCleaner & Bleachbit (all of which load fine). I had Spybot, but removed it.

9. RCW139

RCW139 Registered Member

@Madness832: Thanks for posting. Sorry you are having problems, too, but I'm glad it's not just me.

I gave it one more try a few days ago. I disabled Eset Smart Security 5 and Malwarebytes Pro (never had to do this on my XP machine, btw). I also unticked 'Enable Protected Mode' in my desktop IE10 in case the setting was interfering with SpywareBlaster writing to the browser's restricted sites.

I then installed SpywareBlaster and launched it. The same issue resulted -- I got the solid disk light and my computer became unresponsive. No errors except the improper shutdown recorded to my error logs. Really wish I could figure this out. For now, it looks like I will forgo SpywareBlaster. A shame since I like the simplicity of the program and felt safer with it.

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And that is why it is unlikely it is the cause of the crash.

11. RCW139

RCW139 Registered Member

I agree SpywareBlaster shouldn't cause this behavior, but there is a conflict with something and I don't have the faintest idea what. Do I need to change a setting in Windows 8? Or a setting in IE10? I'm open to suggestions, but am reluctant to do too much troubleshooting. Manually shutting down with a solid hard disk light makes me nervous.

12. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

FWIW I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8 x64 and have had no problem with SpywareBlaster at all. I did not install any 3rd party AV tho - stuck with WindowsDefender....but, SpywareBlaster is installed and runs and updates with no problems.

13. Home PC Patrol

Home PC Patrol Registered Member

I have been experiencing the same problems as the other users in this thread using Windows 8 x64. Some additional details: the full Norton garbage suite came preloaded (internet security, online backup, etc) and was uninstalled and then I used the Norton Removal Tool.

Interestingly, I noticed on one of the failed SpywareBlaster installs that it was not listed in programs and features, so I navigated to the folder to manually run the uninst000 and found the Norton symbol on uninst000.dat within SpywareBlaster's folder. I clicked it and it brought up the Norton Studio splash screen. Aparently uninstalling the other Norton features does not remove the Studio App in the metro screen. I then uninstalled the Norton Studio App from the metro screen and assumed I had found the culprit; but alas, still doesn't work.

I am using the classic shell program to give myself a usable desktop and I assume everyone else on this thread is using a similar program as well (no need to worry about protecting your pc from spyware if you leave it in it's default state as a glorified extremely large, non portable, smartphone that you can't make calls on or do any useful, um you know....work ;) so perhaps the classic shell is the culprit?

I have tried it with SmartScreen on and off, UAC on and off, Avast installed / uninstalled, Protected mode on and off, Windows Defender on and off, as of this writing the only combination I can think of that I haven't tried is SmartScreen on, UAC on, Avast uninstalled, Windows Defender on, and Protected mode on.

I will not try with classic shell off because I wouldn't wish that metro garbage on my worst enemy and would rather clean Vundo off daily than ever see that screen again ;)

Yes, some obvious angst intermingled in my report, but I thought something in there might be useful.

Oh, one last thing. Before SB locks up, it's icon shows on the desktop and in the programs menu and it is listed in programs and features in the control panel. Once it hangs and you have to force quit the PC, it is no longer listed in programs and features upon restart and its icons are replaced with unknown file placeholders on desktop and in programs under start menu.

14. Home PC Patrol

Home PC Patrol Registered Member

Update, after writing the above post, I ended up looking at some other pages and making some dinner, I popped back in the room with the PC after about 20 mins and SB was up. I updated, then it ran properly. That was with SmartScreen off, Protected Mode off, Avast Real Time Protection off, ad Windows Defender off.

So looks like if you wait long enough, it'll eventually work ;)

15. RCW139

RCW139 Registered Member

@Home PC Patrol: Thanks for sharing your experience. I might give it another shot after checking for remnants of Norton and using the settings that worked for you, adapting them to Eset as that is what I use (and it turned Defender off).

Did you just open SpywareBlaster and let it run until it loaded?

FWIW, SpywareBlaster will appear under Control Panel -- Remove Programs after running the install, and an icon will show up on my search screen even when it fails to load. It appears it installs just fine for me, but there is something interfering with it during loading. Also, I do not use Classic Shell.

16. javacool

Hi,

For anyone experiencing this issue:

Could you please send an e-mail to:
    bugreports AT brightfort DOT com

Please reference this thread and your username on these forums.

Best regards and thanks.

17. javacool

Hi,

If anyone is still experiencing this issue, please give the just-released new version (5.0) of SpywareBlaster a try.

Improved Windows 8 support (and Google Chrome support) is now available in SpywareBlaster 5.0! :cool:
    Please see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=342802

18. talikarni

talikarni Registered Member

As a long time PC tech, I have been using SB for a long time.
    I recently (2 weeks ago) tried to install 4.6 on Win8 (x64) and it never worked. After I saw it was updated to 5.0, I tried again. Still not working, same issue as mentioned above.
    I see it running in the task manager, even if I leave it alone for 45 minutes, the GUI display never appears but still runs in the task manager. I tried right click and run and administrator, still doesn't work.
    UAC = off
    SmartScreen = off

Current security programs (I checked, they are not interfering):
    AV: Avira

I have multiple PCs in the house from XP to Win7 and it works great on all on those, so it must be something specific to Win8. I know how it is, with my work we are attempting to update our software to work with Win8 too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.