installation now bsod

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by unique, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unique

unique Registered Member

Hi :)

Newbie here so please be gentle with me ;)

I bought Acronis True Image 9.0 last week from Amazon, tried to install it today on my windows 2k machine and its gone badly badly wrong :'( I dont have a clue what I have done wrong. I cant even get windows to load now!!

I had installed the software and was asked to reboot. I rebooted and went into "emergecy recovery or someting like that. It took 30 gig away from my hdd, asked for another reboot and now all I get is windows BSOD :(

I've tried booting into safe mode and uninstalling but I get a windows error (can't uninstall) tried to uninstall with spybot but that didnt even find it on the system o_O I've tried repairing windows but that doesn't do a thing!!

Can someone please tell me what I can do (if anything) to get my pc back to a working order? Preferably with Acronis off it!!!

I am a complete novice with things so be as gentle as possible and not too techie (if you dont mind :) )

I guess it will teach me to RTFM :blink:

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Without knowing exactly what you did step by step it will be hard to determine what went wrong. But the really bad news is that you don't have a backup to recover with. This is real uncommon for something like that to happen but your only recourse is to run chkdsk /r from the recovery console of your Windows 2000 disk. I think you may be able to use a Windows XP disk to do this too if you have one. I use the BartPE disk to attempt recoveries such as yours when there is no backup but again you have to have one already for it to be any use to you now.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for this poor soul? Acronis is really a great program so I hope when you do recover you can finally get it installed properly. I would first download the lastest version of it (3677) and see how that goes.

3. unique

unique Registered Member

Many thanks for reply :)

I sadly don't know what I did that made it go pop but I obviously did something wrong :(

I've tried chkdsk /r but it didn't work either :(

I think I've got no choice left but to reformat :(

4. simusphere

I didn't want to tell you that but you know what you have to do. I hope the acronis installation goes well the next time around.

5. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Sounds like something went wrong while creating the SecureZone. Can you give us a status of your partitions right now? Sounds like you had a harddrive with only one partition (FAT/NTFS). Maybe a tool like "testdisk" could recover your disk...

Volker

6. unique

unique Registered Member

I can't give a status of the partition as I managed to get into safe mode and delete it (it had taken 30 gig for Acronis and left me with 84 gig).

I did indeed only have 1 partition on the HDD which was NTFS (win 2k).

I will look into testdisk thank you :) [edit] just had a look and testdisk deletes partitions so I guess I dont need that now]

Many thanks for reply :D

7. unique

unique Registered Member

Hi again :)

Just to let you know I managed to save the pc YAAAAAY!!! :D

I loaded the win2k cd again and tried to install it, when it found my partition I asked it to repair and that seems to have done the trick :)

Many thanks to everyone who offered help and advice :D

Don't think I'll be using Acronis on that pc again ;)

8. simusphere

Good for you. Glad your back up and running.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just to be clear.

Did this happen during the install of TI or did you install TI and successfully start it and then tried to make a secure zone?

Just installing TI shouldn't make it whip away a good chunk of your hardrive, whereas making a SZ could do this.

My suggestion is if you have a spare hardrive or an external drive, this would be the better option for storing images rather than the SZ.

Colin

10. unique

unique Registered Member

yep that's what happened, it successfully installed True Image but trying to make a secure Zone was when everything went pop!! Its sadly put me off using Acronis but I think next time I have to do a reformat, I'll try it then and see what happens :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.