Installation from RA not repeatable

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by RobJanssen, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobJanssen

RobJanssen Registered Member

We install most clients using a login script. The script itself first checks if the package is already installed, if not it calls the einstaller.exe that has been prepared from the remote administrator.
    This works fine the first time. But when the installation somehow fails and is re-tried, it fails with the message:

2101 ESET Installer failed to communicate with server '(servername):2224'. (RES error code 1)

Apparently there is a locking on the server that prevents installation of the same package on the same client the second time.
    Sometimes it helps to delete the installation task report (Install Tasks -> Automatic agent request) but usually it is required to restart the RA service on the server.

Is it possible to somehow disable this locking? We do not require it, and it causes trouble.
    (and there is also the local locking on the workstation in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Eset\Eset Remote installer, which I think should be sufficient to prevent repeated installation)

2. RobJanssen

Why no reply?
    This is a long-existing issue in Remote Administrator, others MUST be affected by it!

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you unable to push install even after deleting the install tasks from the "Install tasks" tab?

4. RobJanssen

As I described, it sometimes works but sometimes I need to restart the RA service.
    What I want to know is how can I get rid of this unneeded locking.
    Why is it even there?

5. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

If a package installation on a remote host once started, it is not possible to start the installation again. It doesn't matter if this installation is successfull or failed.

You have to delete the corresponding client in the remote install task. This feature exists at least since version 3 of ERAS and cant be disabled :(

Didn't know why eset disabled the reinstallation if further installations failed.

6. RobJanssen

That is what I mean. It only causes trouble.
    In the past I once pushed an update to all clients and got in big trouble because some workstations had been switched off before the update succeeded, causing massive manual work.
    I think the program should by default do what it is asked for and any options that prevent that should at most be checkable options.

As it is now, it already fails when someone re-installs a PC before that remote install job has been cleared again.
    Sometimes people from the helpdesk are experimenting with PCs and reinstalling them a couple of times in the process, and this feature is a pain every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.