Installation ended prematurely

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by CrunchieBite, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

v2.7 upgrading to v3.0.560. Tried over the top installer and it bombed part way through with a premature ending which rolled back. Rebooted and v2.7 had been removed by the v3.0.560 installer leaving me with no AV installed at all.

Manually deleted the Program Files\Eset directory and all registry keys I can find for Eset rebooted and retried just installing v3.0.560 using freshly downloaded installer off of Eset.com. Installation goes through to the Installing Drivers stage then promptly bombs with "ESET NOD32 Antivirus setup ended prematurely because of an error".

No logs are created anywhere and the old "/test" switch doesn't seem to work on the present installer. One thing I did notice was that the setupapi.log file records the following each time I try to install:

#-198 Command line processed: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe -Embedding 04983A3CA223E8DD2C9C1ED24CCBD5DC M Global\MSI0000
    #E361 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "c:\program files\eset\eset nod32 antivirus\drivers\eamon\eamon.cat" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.
    #-024 Copying file "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Drivers\eamon\eamon.sys" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\eamon.sys".
    #E361 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Drivers\eamon\eamon.sys" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.

I an open to any suggestions!

2. modefour

modefour Registered Member

I have the same problem. Can anyone help.

3. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Try to disconnect before install.;)
    Works for me.
    I do not have a word :blink: from ESET about this issue (yet:ninja: ).

4. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Unfortunately, I have tried disconnecting and disabling all LAN, wireless, firewire etc etc connections with the same end result during installation. Forunately, I have been able to re-install v2.7 so, I guess I will have to wait for a workaround from Eset before I can upgrade.

I sent all of the installation logs after finding out about the /lvx* install.log to Eset late last night (UK time) so, hopefully I should get some sort of reply soon!

5. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Anybody know what the typical turnaround time is for a response from support[at]eset.com??

I fired off an e-mail about my issue 48+ hours ago and haven't heard anything back yet :doubt:

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

7. rpremuz

rpremuz Registered Member

I have the same problem with installing NOD32 3.0 AV over ver. 2.70 on a MS Windows XP Pro. SP2. The installation wizard says "ESET NOD32 Antivirus Setup Wizard ended prematurely" and after Windows restart NOD32 2.70 got uninstalled.

I installed the Windows Install Clean Up as suggested by ronjor but I don't see how to use it to solve the problem.

-- rpr.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

When you install over the top, 2.7 gets shuffled off to a folder of it's own.

I would uninstall both of them, delete the Eset folders, and if you want to, run the MS installer cleanup utility, remove references to ESET, restart, and do a clean install of the version you want to install.

9. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

All of the suggestions have been tried and tested repeatedly and yep, you guessed it....exactly the same end result in that you still get "Installation ended prematurely". I have even now tried all of the suggestions using 560 and 563 with no differences.

I had hoped to actually get an answer from Eset after e-mailing them last Wednesday night but, I guess I was asking for to much as I haven't had any sort of response at all.

Not particularly encouraging and I fear that Eset have done a Microsoft (i.e. releasing a beta product as the final product just to get it out into the wild).

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have a firewall installed? If so, which one?

11. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

I'm running a fully patched copy of Windows XP SP-2 and the only firewall installed is the Windows XP one. I have tried installation with the firewall enabled & disabled but, same results in both cases.

12. Marcos

Whenever there is a problem installing ESS/EAV, run the msi package with the "/lvx* [log_file]" parameter where [log_file] is the name of the install log. After the installation has ended, send it along with the log c:\windows\setupapi.log to support[at]eset.com

13. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Marcos - thanks for your reply but, I have already done that and sent both of the files you mention to support[at]eset.com.

I sent them on the evening of 7th November (UK time) and have had absolutely nothing back in reply yet.

14. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

... a 'fully patched' XP+sp2 huh?? Hmm... try checking your MS' "updates" ...there might be one (or related 2) specific updates that is responsible for it.

Check out your "KB updates" via Windows' util - 'qfecheck.exe' for patches being left out too. And do an 'sfc scannow' proc right after you have deleted old ESET folders.

15. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

1 full week on from sending and I still have not had even a single e-mail response from support[at]eset.com relating to my issue...not even an acknowledgement that they are working on the problem :thumbd:

16. Marcos

Could you please confirm or deny that the installation fails even when not connected to LAN/Internet ?

17. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Hi Marcos,

I use a wireless connection going through a wireless router and I have tried installing:

1. With the wireless network connection enabled and connected to the internet;
    2. With wireless network connection enabled and the no internet connection (I turned off the router to achieve this);
    3. With wireless network connection disabled.

All all 3 instances, I get the same "Installation Ended Prematurely" error message.

18. aptisman

aptisman Registered Member

Currently using v560 (XP SP2).

I thought I would try v566 but it performed the same way as when I tried to install 563, the installation ended prematurely with a reboot of the machine which left me with a non-working copy in that the real-time checking was not working, and Windows reporting that it had recovered from a serious error. Had to fiddle about to go back to v560.

19. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Thought I would give 566 a shot having tried both 560 and 563 since it said in the changelog that it fixed some installation issues. Sadly, 566 is absoltely identical to every other 3.x installer I have tried.....it goes through to the "Installing Drivers" stage then promptly rolls back the install and states "Installation ended prematurely".

20. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Installation ended prematurely - SOLVED

I don't know if this will help anyone else out there with the "Installation ended prematurely" problem but, last night I managed to solve my particular problem on my own....sadly, a week and a half after e-mailling details of my problem to support[at]eset.com I have still had absolutely no reply so, I had to do a little digging of my own.

The actual problem appears to have been down to 1 or both of the 2 remote VPN software packages I had installed. I had both of the latest versions of :

*Cisco VPN Client
    *Checkpoint SecureRemote

installed on my machine for accessing secured VPNs. Uninstalling both of these allowed me to install v3.0.566 without issue and I have been running since late last night without any problems.

Many thanks to those who have offered help & suggestions in this thread. Perhaps things are looking up - well for me anyways! :D :D :D

21. rpremuz

rpremuz Registered Member

Re: Installation ended prematurely - SOLVED

I can confirm that if Check Point VPN-1 SecuRemote is installed on a MS Windows XP Pro. SP2, there is problem with upgrade from NOD32 v. 2.70 to NOD32 3.0 AV (maybe also with a clean install).

On a MS Windows XP Pro. SP2 without the Check Point software the upgrade was successful.

I noticed that the upgrade does not retain the update settings (update server, username and password). Why is that?

-- rpr.

22. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Check Point VPN-1 SecuRemote is definately the problem...I have been testing on a number of clients and the installation fails in 100% of cases if Check Point VPN-1 SecuRemote is installed on the machine.

I have found that uninstalling the Check Point VPN-1 SecuRemote, installing Nods and then re-installing Check Point VPN-1 SecuRemote works well and haven't hit any problems having the two installed side by side. I can only assume it is a bug in the installer itself and not the NOD AV per se.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.