install windows xp from usb flash drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,

after fiddling around yesterday trying to get windows xp to install windows from a flash drive i eventually found a program called wintoflash

if it works it will save my customer the need to buy a new disc drive.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Does it only only work with window installation or can you use it to convert a bootable ISO to a bootable USB flash drive?

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you need to extract all the files to a folder on the hard drive.
    if you have a program such as winrar to extract that iso to a folder you can then use that.

4. Raza0007

Thanks, I will give it a try. I have been looking for a free bootable ISO to bootable usb converter for a long time.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I may be off-topic here (so I apologize), but perhaps UNetbootin may be of some help? It will not create Windows bootable USB though.

EDIT:

Does it work lodore?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Well the GUI part of the XP install doesnt seem to work. but i think its a problem with the laptop and not a problem with the usbstick or wintoflash.

its a great program
    very easy to use.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you make a LiveXP boot from USB with WinBuilder, there is already existing in it a tool to install XP. You pick the source and the target, a few other options, and go. I have used it to install xp to C: from the source files existing on D: and it works very well.

Sul.

8. Raza0007

Well, I tried wintoflash but apparently it is only meant to convert ISO based windows installation to usb flash drives only. If you have a bootable ISO of some other software, wintoflash will not be able to convert it into a bootable usb.

The problem is that wintoflash asks you to unpack the iso and then it repacks it into a usb, and appends the boot info to the usb flash drive. Unfortunately, when you unpack a ISO of some other program, it looses its boot info, and then wintoflash appends a windows installation boot info to it, rendering the software unusable.

I had a look at UNetbootin and it too appears to be only meant for OS installation only.

As a comparison, UltraISO will convert any bootable ISO to a bootable usb flash. Unfortunately, it is not free, only a fully function trial.

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The manual way to do it:

1) format the usb in ntfs.
    2) Use "diskpart" to make the partition of the ntfs active.
    3) Use the "fixboot [usbdrive letter:]" to insert the a bootsector to the partition.
    4) copy all files from the cd to the usb.

Panagiotis

10. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

You dont need to extract iso image to anywhere, just mount it with a software.

11. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey guys,,how do you fix your bios to make usb bootable,,i have a dell dimension 8200..and i see only boot from diskette,cd/dvd,hard drive.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the last bios update for that computer is very old and its very unlikely you will be able to boot from usb. if usb isnt listed in boot options you cant boot from usb its that simple.

13. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

With PLOP he can.;)

Panagiotis

14. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Some BIOSes will not list UFD as a bootable option unless you have a usb flash inserted before going into the BIOS. An example of this is an eeepc 1000h from Asus.

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.