Install Shield Update Manager How did that get there?!!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by mercurie, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    This appeared in the icon tray this evening when I brought my system up? I never to my knowledge asked for this or downloaded it? What is it? I have a firewall hardware and software with BoClean and Command AV. How did I get this and is it spyware privacy issue? Sounds like they want to charge you to use it. Whats up? Help. :eek: :mad:

It's: consumer.installshield.com is there website this was an univited intruder.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. mercurie

Yes, NetVeda FW but that is not it. I really think I clicked a link at the Wilders it had something to do with Zone Alarm thread yesterday. It wanted to install Zone Alarm I cancelled and closed if I dig around may be I can find it here again. I think it wanted to install ZA using installshield, which of course is a used alot by alot of software vendors I think. But some how it put that Update Manager in the icon tray it disappeared now. I just want to know if the crap is still on the system. Netveda app control has it as a ask only. I ran Adaware and it did not pick it up as a threat. I also did a search for any files InstallShield, nothing. I did get some stuff on Update Manager sonic/data hmmm.

I just hate uninvited stuff loading on my system except for those harmless easy to iradicate cookies. By the way I clicked on the web link in this down load manager program and it did send me to that site. So you have the right place of the offending intruder. :mad:

yep, that update manager symbol was placed in my icon tray that is the unwanted service. :mad: :mad:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What operating system?

5. mercurie

XP Home.

I have just Removed a program file called Sonic Update Service?? I have not seen it before. But one needs to be careful about what one is removing any thoughts you may have will help. everything seems to be fine but there still maybe some crap on here.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the sonic updater is probably a cd burning programs updater. I believe it is "record now". see here it used to be record now.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would do a search or use Regseeker for other entries. You can always roll back with system restore if you use it.

I would mention that Regdefend is a great program to have on hand.

If you can find the link here, send me the location.

8. mercurie

Yes, BigC that is correct. Never been there before in my life. yep, get rid of anything to do with that yes I will.

Yes, Ronjor I will look for other stuff including keys. SystemSuite should lend me hand should it not? I know BigC is up on this one at least.

Oh yea, I almost for got this most important thing.... THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE. ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.