Install NOD32 v3.0.684 Questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rnfolsom, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Unless I've made some sort of mistake, the current download for NOD32 3.0 is build 684.

I downloaded it (but have not yet installed it) because I'm wondering how it differs from previous builds. I'd appreciate any information that anyone has about that.

The QuickStart and also the User Guide for 3.0 make clear that you shouldn't run two anti-virus programs simultaneously. That's been the standard advice (for any AV program) for a long time, so I am comfortable with it.

I am currently running NOD32 version 2.70.32, and will uninstall it (using its own uninstaller, rather than Windows Add/Remove Programs) before installing 3.0.

However, what about anti-spyware programs? The conventional wisdom used to be that one should use two or more of them.

With NOD32 2.70.32 I have been running Webroot's SpySweeper 5.5.7 (build 124) and no other anti-spyware, with no obvious conflicts.

However, since 3.0 apparently has an enhanced anti-spyware capability (enhanced since 2.70.32), do I need to uninstall SpySweeper? (I will, of course, at least disable it while installing NOD32 3.0.684.)

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

Roger Folsom

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Nod32 has anti-spyware protection built-in. But a few people complement it with Spybot/Malware Bytes/Super AntiSpyware. If Webroot doesn't run in real-time then you should be alright.

3. rnfolsom

By "real time," I think you mean that Webroot Spysweeper shouldn't be, say, scanning email downloads if NOD32 3.0.684 is scanning email downloads. Correct?

That is, with NOD32 3.0.684 installed, the only time one would use an extra anti-spy program such as Webroot Spysweeper is for an anti-spyware demand scan, while NOD32 is not doing one (or maybe, only while NOD32 is shut down, and one's internet connection is disabled).

If I understand your meaning, then one could use an extra anti-virus program in the same way (i.e. only for a demand scan while one's main antivirus such as NOD32 is shut down). I've never done that; that idea is merely hypothetical.

On my wife's and my computers (Win2k sp4; SeaMonkey browser and email), NOD32 2.70.32 and Webroot's Spysweeper were on guard at the same time, with no apparent conflicts.

So your advice is a definite change from our current setups, and a definite change from the previous longstanding recommendation to have two anti-spyware programs "on guard" at the same time. Admittedly, that advice was before the advent of "suites" containing anti-virus as well as anti-spyware capabilities.

Thanks for your advice. I much appreciate it.

Meanwhile, do you know where I should look to find out "what's new" in NOD32 3.0.684 compared to previous builds such as build .667? (I couldn't find anything about build 684 either here or on the Eset website.) Elsewhere in this forum I've seen a lot of complaining about previous builds, for example about NOD32 taking up 100% of CPU time (maybe only on demand scans), and I'm wondering whether some of those complaints got fixed.

Thanks again.

Roger Folsom

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

FWIW More Security *Isn't* Necessarily Better Security.

5. rnfolsom

Agreed. It's just that my current NOD32 2.70.32 running together with Webroot SpySweeper 5.5.7 (build 124) has not had any conflicts, and although the NOD32 3.0.684 Quick Start Guide and User Guide make clear that you shouldn't run NOD32 and another antivirus program simultaneously, in those documents I haven't seen a similar statement about NOD32 and another antispyware program.

In my judgment, the documents ought to address both issues.

New but related subject:

I'm also surprised that I can't find any "What's new" comparison of NOD32 3.0.684 to previous builds such as build .667.

Roger Folsom

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

7. rnfolsom

I have not yet found time to install NOD32 v3, so I'm still running NOD32 2.70.32, together with Webroot's SpySweeper 5.5.7 (build 124) --- which, according to its settings, is running in "real time," i.e. checking for malware when files are opened. etc.

Thank you very, very, much for that link! It answered my questions: no new features, but "stability and security fixes." Given all of the complaining in this forum about problems with builds prior to 3.0.684, that encourages me to go ahead and install it.

Roger Folsom

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please remember that v2 detects less malware than v3/v4. We strongly recommend that you upgrade to v3 or v4 as soon as possible.

9. rnfolsom

Marcos:

Understood. But it still would be nice to get a definitive answer, for example from you, about whether NOD32 3.0.684 and another antispyware program [in my case, Webroot SpySweeper 5.5.7 (build 124)] can run simultaneously.

The NOD32 3.0.684 Quick Start Guide and User Guide make clear that you cannot run NOD32 and another antivirus program simultaneously. But in those documents I haven't seen a similar statement about NOD32 and another antispyware program. (Maybe that statement is there, but I sure can't find it.)

I think that those documents should be clear not only about antivirus programs, but also about antispyware programs. Meanwhile, I'd like to see that issue answered in this forum, or somewhere on the Eset website.

Thank you.

Cordially, R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.