Install live products without silverlight

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I recently discovered that running the Windows Live setup (to install for example, messenger) will automatically install Silverlight in the background without asking you.

Is there a way to prevent this? I'd rather keep plugins to a bare minimum and don't install java, silverlight, etc usually.

I've been told by others you can uninstall it afterwards but when doing clean windows installs I try to keep them as "untainted" as possible.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Are you sure it's doing this? I have installed Live Mail before, and I don't believe it installed Silverlight. Maybe it depends on which app you install?

3. elapsed

Possibly, was only requested to install messenger. But I'm 100% sure of it. Infact it was about 50% of the way stating "Installing: Messenger" when I clicked the start menu and Silverlight was listed as a new entry.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I installed windows live messenger and movie maker/ photo gallery on my desktop and it installed silverlight.
    hopefully the installer will soon have an option to untick silverlight.
    im surprised tbh since microsoft have pretty much ditched silverlight in favour of html5.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. elapsed

I doubt it, it has probably been this way since launch. Pretty damn annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.