Inquiry on Freeware Security for Windows 7

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by curious d, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious d

curious d Registered Member

Hi. I recently purchased two 64 bit Windows 7 computers for my home. I have been using Windows XP for the past several years and used the following freeware options for my computer security:

AntiVir, SuperantiSpyware, SandboxIE, Comodo Firewall, SpywareBlaster, OpenDNS

This set up was fairly good at keeping my system out of trouble. In the past 6 years, I haven't had too much problems with viruses, malware, or other security threats hitting my system. That being said, I have had problems with performance which I could never prove was a result of security problems.

I have installed AntiVir, SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo Firewall, OpenDNS (at the router level) thus far. These programs (except for OpenDNS) have stated they support 64 bit systems. I looked at SandboxIE and installed it, but I came to understand that it does not offer good protection for 64 bit systems. BufferZone Pro is free now, but again, does not offer 64 bit compatibility.

What is the practical threat for 64 bit system using 32 bit security like SandboxIE or BufferZone? Are there any freeware sandbox programs compatible with 64 bit Windows 7?

I pretty much stay on my usual websites for my surfing habits. I prefer software with minimal intrusion to my activities as the more technical questions produced by HIPS programs are lost on me.

Are there any other programs that I should consider to patch any gapping holes in my set up?

Thanks.

2. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Sandboxie supports 64 bit systems. The downloaded executable automatically determines if the system is 32 or 64 bit. Because Patchguard prevents Sandboxie from reaching into the kernel, the author has stated that it is not quite as strong for 64 bit but it is still a very effective program.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

4. curious d

Oh I see. Thanks. With the listed software that I have downloaded and installed on my computer, are there any significant large holes that I should plug? Thanks.

By the way, does anyone know how BufferZone Pro compares to SandboxIE? BufferZone is free now and can be used on my remaining XP computers. By the way, what is the efficacy of installing a 32 bit program such as BufferXone Pro on a 64 bit system that runs the 64 bit version of IE, but 32 bit version of Firefox?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

6. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

The OP understands his OpenDNS setup, but for others a clarification is in order: OpenDNS is not a program. It's a flavor (one of many) of the TCP/IP Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service. It doesn't care what the operating system is. The OpenDNS Dashboard is Web accessed with your browser - again, doesn't care about the OS. Well, there might be issues with Arachne in DOS 6. :D

7. curious d

Your right on the OpenDNS. It was mental laziness on my part.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. curious d

No, it doesn't. The program will support 64 bit next year according to an admin post. Any thoughts on holes in my current set up?

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just a cautionary note. SuperantiSpyware trashed my 64 bit out of the box non tweaked Dell with only Avira installed in the fall, prompting a reinstall of the OS.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

wooo that was bad mano_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.