Inox - an ungoogled Chromium fork for Arch Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by summerheat, Jan 27, 2016.

1. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

For Arch-based distros there is Inox - a Chromium spin-off with a lot of patches which try to prevent data transmission to Google as much as possible. More details can be found on the github site. One interesting aspect is the chromium-sandbox-pie.patch "Hardening the sandbox with Position Independent Code(PIE) against ROP exploits. This patch originally from openSUSE.".

There are inox and inox-bin packages available from the AUR. Since ...
    ... I rather chose inox-bin :shifty:

The only (but logical) inconvenience is the missing webstore plugin. So in order to download or update extensions you have to manually download and drag them to the extensions tab in inox. I think the easiest ways to do this is to create small scripts like this one for uBlock0:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

NAME=ublock0
    EXTENSION_ID=cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

wget -d -O $NAME.crx "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&prodversion=38.0&x=id%3D$EXTENSION_ID%26installsource%3Dondemand%26uc"
    or for uMatrix:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

NAME=umatrix
    EXTENSION_ID=ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf

wget -d -O $NAME.crx "https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx?response=redirect&prodversion=38.0&x=id%3D$EXTENSION_ID%26installsource%3Dondemand%26uc"
    Just drag those .crx files to the extensions tab - ready!

I've been running inox in the last 2 days without any problems in Firejail. Worth a try.

2. summerheat

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is awesome! But wait, does it only "try" to unGoogle it? For what understand, there are still a few google thingies on it.

4. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I'm trying Iridium because I read about it from the Arch Inox thread. The first chromium knock off that I've measured as faster than chromium.

5. summerheat

Well, that was my own wording ;) Which Google thingies are you thinking of?

The only thing that comes to my mind: Normally all Google stuff can be easily blocked with, e.g., uBlock0 or uMatrix - but not on the Chrome webstore as all extensions are disabled on that site. But you can start Chrome/Chromium/inox with the command line switch
    Code:
    --host-rules="MAP *.google-analytics.com 0.0.0.0","MAP *.googleadservices.com 0.0.0.0","MAP *.doubleclick.net 0.0.0.0","MAP *.googletagservices.com 0.0.0.0"
    which gets rid of that stuff even on the webstore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.