Injoy Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by prosperine, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prosperine

prosperine Registered Member

Hi

Does anyone use this firewall?

http://www.fx.dk/firewall/index.html

I'd be using it with a netgear fvs318 router. I've tried to find some reviews on this firewall, but thus far, I've not found any.

Thanks!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have never heard of it but it doesn't look to bad. sorry I can't give you any info. I will add that it seems to be full featured, more than most firewalls.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Seems like a new-generation firewall, with some sophisticated features.
    It's designed mainly for security professionals, not for noobie computer users.
    I may decide to try this firewall out later on to see what it can do and how it works.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi prosperine

... and welcome to Wilders :)

There was a brief post on it here: Injoy Firewall.

Regards,

CrazyM

6. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

This is the first time I have came across InJoy and I must say it looks amazing. This will be perfect to use on my old computer as an access point to my new one.

7. Alegz Tee

Alegz Tee Guest

That's a nice firewall indeed: I was impressed by wide range of VPN features and extended firewall that monitors every little thing that goes in our out. I have also received excellent support when I needed that.. To conclude, I recommend the firewall to both home and office use :)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just tried to install it here on my Win2k machine, but for some reason it refused to recognize my network card and failed to set itself up fully. Kept telling me to reboot and try installation again, which of course didn't work... ;) Had to remove it. Looked interesting though...

9. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I installed it with no problems at all - found I had no connection on reboot - uninstalled it. I don't have time to mess with something. It need to work immediately - tweaking comes later, when I have more time.

10. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Couldn't work with mine too. Of course I was on a home wireless network. But somehow I couldn't configure it to recognize my gateway. Haven't tried on a fixed line LAN. Also, doesn't seem to have app filtering which was a big negative for me.

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Im running Win XP SP2 with a linksys WiFi connection and it worked just fine. The only thing though is the GUI was a little buggy. Make sure you setup the DHCP servers for your configuration.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just a word of warning about this one.. I tried to install as mentioned above and it wouldn't recognize my network card. So I uninstalled. Rebooted and tried again as instructed. Still no luck. So I removed it via Add/Remove programs (Win2k). Well, then I tried to install another firewall (Look N Stop) after rebooting again, and that failed as well, so it looks like InJoy screwed something up with my drivers and so on. Got an error message from Look N Stop about being unable to start. Never had any other problems with firewalls prior to this, so it was something InJoy did. I also noticed that it left some odd device drivers hanging around and Windows tried to install them upon rebooting later. Very much of a mess.. I wound up reformatting and reinstalling Windows because I couldn't get any firewall to install properly after InJoy failed.

A word to the wise: Beware of what this one might do to your system when the install fails...

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Sorry that happened Kerodo. I have installed/uninstalled InJoy and now have Look 'n' Stop and some others re-installed now and are working just fine. I did not have any of the problems you did. I am running Windows XP though.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I realize that things happen. I've had to reinstall Win2k before so it's not that big of a deal to me, but others with Win2k might feel differently.. I thought it was worth mentioning.

It did look like a promising firewall from what I saw on their web site though..

Oh well.. :)

15. ?WiZO

?WiZO Guest

I suggest to anyone seriously thinking about purchasing this firewall to think otherwise. Their customer support is terrible!! Their GUI is a bit buggy and they are not open for suggestions on improvements.

WiZO

16. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

What a disapointment... guess i'll dump injoy and use sygate.

17. prosperine

prosperine Registered Member

Hello!

Thanks for all of your replies. And thanks for the welcome!

I'm actually getting ready to try it. Besides, if it doesnt work well, can always go back to an earlier image.

Kerodo, very sorry that you had to reinstall because of the Injoy.

Thanks to all for your comments and trying it out.

I suppose that I would need to disable the built in xp2 firewall before installing. Also, would this be overkill in already having a router?

Thanks!

18. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I am behind a router and make sure that I have a software firewall as well. Routers are nice and can be configured if you really get into them, but for the most part there security is limited. InJoy works nicely behind a router, but the GUI is a bit buggy ATM and you will need to use something else for outbound application protection. There support doesn't seem to be very outgoing. There pre-configured rules can be nice, but the way they are setup seems to limit it. Overall it is a very interesting and unique firewall, but I personally choose not to use it. Some firewalls that I would suggest are:

Look'n'Stop
    8Signs - lacks outbound application protection, but makes up for it
    Jetico - still a beta, but making great progress
    Kerio 2.0 - latest version could be considered bloat - old version is free
    Tiny - has nice windows security and built in Snort IDS
    Outpost - nice plug-ins, old version is free
    Secure Point - free and can come with free IDS
    Sygate - personal version is free

19. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

kerio v2 is seen to have many bugs now. Its support is long gone.
    Kerio v4.0.16 is the stable v4 release till date, no problems anywhere, very light (unless you load its GUI On-screen or change to another options page in it, when it becomes really slow)
    The best firewall is one ....
    1. which is light on YOUR system
    2. which is custom-configured for YOU
    3. which has maximum configurability and maximum in-built protection in the form of custom PacketFilter / Ruleset and default unchangeable rules that protect against attacks and have a higher priority than custom rules.
    4. which doesn't conflict with other apps on your PC.
    My personal opinion.

20. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Thanks for update no13, it has been very long time since I have used Kerio :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.