Initial AV version 3 thoughts

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by n8chavez, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

At first, U must admit, I hated the new GUI. I had gotten used to the old one, and liked it very much. But I am seeing how it can grow on you. I'll leave that off my con list.

Cons
    Horrible task manager icon - Switch it to the Nod eye
    Change the context menu - There is no need to have two entries
    There does not seem to be email integration with anything other than OE, even when it is setup to append messages to emails
    We need to have the option to snap the message windows to a corner of the desktop - as it is right now it is a little up and to the left, and it just wastes space.
    There is no option to only scan newly created or updated files with the RT scanner - This would lessen the burden on both the CPU and RAM, would it not?

Pros
    I know I tend to be incredibly anal about things, but other what what I mentioned above version 3 is absolutely awesome. I hate ESET but I love their products.

With Opera there is no need for real email scanning because when threats are delivered via email they are detected, not by the email scanner but by the RT scanner.
    The ability to import and export settings in a real plus - we can finally easily import Blackspear's settings.

Any thought or, perhaps, arguments against what I mentioned?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't mind , I like both the new one and the old one ;) Prefer the new one ,for some change.

I agree here

I think they'll make it in future releases.

About the GUI , the old one , I like more the beta1 GUI and fonts but ... :thumb:

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's the "Optimize scanning" option in the real-time file system protection setup. It's been there since NOD32 2.5 if my memory serves well.

Any suggestion how to make this better? I for one wouldn't like the need to expand a context menu entry in order to scan one file, I'd like to have access to it by one click directly from the menu. Also the other options are very useful. Take into account that programs like WinRAR make 4 new entries in the context menu to make working easier ;)

4. Alf_

Alf_ Registered Member

I agree. Keep it this way. Maybe an option to hide the "Advanced Options" entry for people who doesn't want it there.

5. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

I personally like the new icon, and the new notification box. However I must agree with others that the notification needs to be adjusted to snugly fit the right hand corner. Looks like a lot of work has gone into it, and look forward to the final release.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

During install of WinRAR you can choose "Cascade windows" or something like that and have only one entry in the context menu with a "dropping > menu" . Anyway... ;)

Just one entry "Scan with ESS" (respectively "Scan with EA) with dropping windows > to scan choose scan only/clean/copy to quarantine/send for analysis options :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. BarneyBadass

BarneyBadass Registered Member

N8,

can you expound a bit on what "Blackspear's" is or at least where to read about it.?

Thanks in advance

8. n8chavez

I simply meant that Blackspear provided a great tutorial on how to configure version 2.7 for maximum protection. Now that version 3 has the ability to import settings, we no longer need a tutorial for version 3 because we can import the setting directly. It would be a lot easier, unless you us a nod32-av.com installer where the settings are already done for you.

9. n8chavez

I think that having a 'cascading context menu' isa a good idea, that is if you absolutely need to have two options in the menu at all. I think another option would be the option placed in settings. All of these have been suggested. What if you make a context menue profile, a la version 2.7. That would also eliminate the need for the two entries. This is one of my issues with VBA32 as well, it just adds to the clutter.

A think the length of the actual entry is a 'con' too. "Scan with Eset Smart Security" is too long to habve in a context menu. Make it "Scan with NOD32." Or, make it editable via the registry like version 2.7.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hmm ... how to make it Scan with NOD32 when actually this is Eset Smart Security (different from NOD32) . Just like you can edit it so that it looks like Scan with Symantec Antivirus when it is ESS installed :D :D :D The product has its great name no matter how long it might be

11. n8chavez

What are the chances that any of these things will actually change? I think there is great potential here, but it is a little rough around the edges. I would love to see the context menu change, as well as the taskbar icon. Also, is ESET done optimizing version 3, or will the resource usage remain the same? I guess I might just be expecting too much here. But in a perfect world...

12. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am not sure I understand this correctly. Are you saying that the new version does not support other email programs like The Bat? The current version works very well and I would hope that once I upgrade I am not facing this issue.

13. n8chavez

When I first installed it I couldn't get NOD32 to recognize anythign by MS products no matter what the settings. But I reinstalled it today, to test it further, and it works for me and Opera 9.23. I don't know what happened between then and today but NOD32 v3 now works fine, for me, and other email clients. No Worries.

Nate

14. rothko

rothko Registered Member

"Scan with ESS" ?

15. K1LL3M

K1LL3M Registered Member

ESS Scan

16. n8chavez

Is there any chance that any of the things I mentioned in my first post will be implemented in beta 3 or in the gold version? I hope so. Changes to the context menu, taskbar icon, and popup placement would be nice. The rest is very very good.
    It would also be nice if the standalone AV had the brandings of the AV and not ESS.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  17. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Regarding the importation of settings - can one use the "setup" xml file contained in the "easy set up with Blackspear's settings" which does the whole installation of v2.4 easily & quickly - or is it the "config" xml file also found therein?

If not, could someone point me to the location of the settings for V3, which may be imported?
    Thanks.

18. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Registered Member

There is an exploit waiting to happen :)

I hope they add protection to this...

Ted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.