Informal Adware Risk Survey

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by eburger68, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Hi All:

I've started an informal survey to see how users perceive the privacy & security risks inherent in items that are typically detected by anti-spyware programs. You can see the survey and respond yourself (if you so choose) here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13912417

What I've done is presented a list of 12 detections in no particular order and asked readers to rank the detections in terms of the severity of risk, with 1 being the most severe risk and 12 being the least severe risk. The 12 detections I selected are:

WhenU Save!
    Download Accelerator Plus
    ABetterInternet (Aurora)
    Weatherbug
    180search Assistant
    SearchMiracle/Elitebar
    Tracking cookie (Doubleclick)
    New.net
    CoolWebSearch (HomeSearchAssistant)
    IBIS Websearch/Wintools
    GAIN OfferCompanion
    Hotbar

If you've got a minute or so to spare, I would encourage you to drop by, take the "survey," and see what other users are saying.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi Eric,

Sorry, I am not advanced enough to rank these particular nasties....but I did come across something that looks downright ugly and that may interest you (if you are not currently aware of it). The link below is to an article via the Tech Web News web-site. If refers to a new brand of cookie called a PIE. This looks rather uninviting, and like something that I wish to avoid:

Tech Web News - PIE tracking cookie

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This came out in March... the fix is to uncheck the storing of objects in local shared objects in Flash Options. I thought I had a link to an article showing how, but can't find it at the moment... someone else might have it...

EDIT: here is the article:

http://www.manageyourpc.com/content/view/26/2

-rich

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.