info on Chromium browser needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have Windows 7, 32 bit. Is there some place that shows how to download and install Chromium and make it the default browser? I guess installing is not near as important for me as making Chromium the default browser. I downloaded Chromium and see there is Chrome.exe which I just double click and it opens the browser. But the .exe is just sitting on my desktop. How do I install it in program files?

Also, does Chromium auto update or do I need to download every new build?

thanks.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Chromium can be very buggy sometimes.
    Anyways, if i'm not mistaken you cannot install Chromium you just extract it and run it :D

3. acr1965

is there any way to make chromium the default browser?

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use Chromium, have for quite some time now. I have had a few buggy versions, but of the likely 50 that I have tried, only a few problems, so not a worry really.

Here is what I do now.

Download zip file. Extract. I name it Chromium. I then move this Chromium directory into program files directory. I then make a shortcut on the desktop. I use the "nightly chromium updater" extension now to see what version there is, and it offers me to download the .zip file. I repeat the process -- extract, rename, move. The profile is left alone, so when I start Chromium back up, it is just as I left it.

To make Chromium your default browser, go to options, and in the Basics tab at the bottom click the button. I posted my current set of extensions in the "chrome extensions" thread in this sub-forum, you can see what I use. Nothing too fancy, but what I have found useful.

There are some tweaks you can use to speed it up especially if you notice mouse or keyboard sluggishness. PM me if you need that info.

Sul.

5. acr1965

ok thanks Sully. When I click the option to make Chromium the default browser nothing happens. Is that because Chromium is not installed? Right now Google Chrome is the default browser.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I did not "install" chromium, I just extracted it and put it into program files directory, then used the settings option to make it default.

You can go to AppData and delete the chromium directory and then execute chromium from program files, maybe that will clear it up. I have had chromium as my default browser, or Kmeleon, never chrome or others, so I don't know exactly what happens if the two are installed.

Sul.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Chromium does not automatically update. You don't need to download every new build.

Have you tried installing this one -http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Win/88766/mini_installer.exe ?

(This is the latest build right now.)

Install it using Windows cmd line, using --systemlevel in front of the installer name. See if it will automatically install to Program Files.

I don't know if it will work with the Chromium installer, though. It does work with Google Chrome.

I believe the installer would ask you whether or not you'd like to make it the default browser.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i like Chromium.

uninstalling it is only a matter of deleting the folders and getting a new version when i feel like it.

no bloody auto-updater either. :thumb:

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You.... don't like the audo-updater? o_o

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I like this aspect also.

Sul.

11. moontan

LOL! :D

don't need the thing.
    i got my version of 'Chrome' that is updated for the next 3 months. ;)

12. m00nbl00d

Even when Google Chrome is "installed", whenever I want to use it, I do it by ripping out its guts first!

I make the sucker bleed! :-* -> No auto-updater either. ;)

13. Hungry Man

That's not how it works... using Chromium does not mean you have Chrome 3 months early...

m00n,

Elaborate? Why would you not autoupdate?

14. moontan

well, i was hoping that the winkie ;) i added would show i wasn't entirely serious.

anyway,
    for me, i like to decide when any app wants to update.
    that's why i don't like the auto-updater.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Why would you need to update, if you aren't a novice?

Sul.

16. m00nbl00d

Because I like minimal stuff. If I can have whatever I want the way I want it, why not? ;)

17. Hungry Man

What?

@moon

I can also configure my antivirus... to turn off. But why would I want to do that if it poses a security issue?

18. m00nbl00d

Having the web browser not to automatically update doesn't introduce any danger, if you "manually" check for updates yourself. Google has a blog where they keep people posted on updates. All it takes is to bookmark that URL, and check it from time to time.

I also keep my eyes on other websites that also keep people posted on updated versions, of whatever apps.

Not an issue, for me.

P.S: I did also mention that I do not use Google Chrome. I do like to see how it is behaving from time to time. So, why should I install it and have Google Update installed as well? I only extract the installer contents and use if for the amount of time I want, and then I ditch it.

19. Hungry Man

But if you're just going to manually update what's the point? I just don't understand why you'd prefer to do it manually.

The P.S. point is valid though.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What do you mean, what's the point? There's no "point" to be made, just a preference. Auto-updates for a browser isn't a security feature, it's a "most of the world is lazy, so we'll do it for them" feature. Certainly no one should want to run around with a browser 5 versions behind, but the sky isn't going to erupt in flames if they're not right up to date with the brand newest version. Outside of laziness, there really is no reason for auto-update at all, in a browser. AVs and such are a different ballgame.

21. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

Not sure I agree. There are bug fixes for Chromium based browsers constantly.. If a bug is found that could compromise my machine, I would want to make sure its pushed out as fast as possible.

Also, I don't have an exuberant amount of time on my hands. Having the browser update itself spares me the need to do it myself, leaving more time for more important things...

I guess the better way to say what Hungry Man is asking:

If you can have the computer perform a trivial task, on its own, more efficiently than you can... why not let the computer do it? Its like me saying I could manually apply Windows updates, and then turning off automatic updates. Sure, I *could* do it... but what is the benefit for not allowing it to be automated? The benefit of automatic updates is time and efficiency...

The only rational argument I can think of for this, would be that you would be concerned about a new version breaking functionality... If you are a week behind the update schedule, you can make sure the software is reliable before you update..

22. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

serious security risk bugs does not occur frequently and most security risk bugs are sometimes mitigated by the layers of security a knowledgeable user has applied...

I agree with dw426. "just a preference". to each his own. :-*

23. Hungry Man

o_O so keeping software up to date isn't a security feature?

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Some people like using the latest version, like me. That's why i use Chromium too :D :thumb:

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

:thumb: Unless you have a fully naked machine, updating your browser to its latest version won't do crap. Actually it still wouldn't help all that much considering the security game has changed a lot. As far as efficiency, well, it's a choice between pushing the update check button, or letting it do its own thing. There's not a lot of efficiency to be had there. Regarding Windows updates, those are the very last things I would ever let auto-update. There have been enough of those that went wrong.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.