Infected with hard drive encrypting trojan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roger_m, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Varies. I've seen as little as $150 and as much as $600. You have to remember also that it's just one infection on one computer. Depending how many infection they have could be talking 200 infected computers at $200 a pop. Not saying that everyone is going to pay. It's a wide net but even if 1/4 pay its still 10K.

2. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

What can one use to PREVENT/block this?

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry to hear this Roger, unlucky I guess, shame you didn't download this particular file while you were trying out one of the AV's you've had installed lately WSA, ESET, 360 etc..then you did at least have some kind of defense in place that possibly could have stopped it.

5. Virmaline

Virmaline Registered Member

I always have recent backups, but screw paying. Even if I didn't have a backup I would rather lose everything than pay some ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ a ransom.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  6. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

7. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Re: Infected with hard drive encryting trojan

They have a decryption tool too.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, what was this infected file and where did it come from?

10. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Re: Infected with hard drive encryting trojan

Prisonlocker ,exactly where the creators belong :D

How does that work ? If you need an exact copy of the original file to enable decryption, why not just use the original as a back up.
    I am having yet another senior moment :doubt:

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why would you just download and run an infected file? Was it from a trusted source?

I would salvage what I can in a LiveCD or another computer, and restore from the image.

12. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

That was my next question.

13. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

There is CryptorBit and CryptoLocker, which one do you have? If CryptoLocker you are hosed, nothing you can do except restore from a backup if you have one or reinstall your operating system.

If your infected with CryptorBit there may be a bit of hope. Theres someone in the Bleeping Computer forum who has written a tool in which he is having some success decrypting several types of files. Might be worth a shot.

Prevention would be a backup, Hitman Pro Alert or CryptoPrevent. Unsure how AV's programs react to these programs, some may detect, none can fix that I am aware of, somebody correct me if wrong.

14. DX2

DX2 Guest

What about Combofix?

15. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

16. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I am amazed at how little some people here on this forum know about how Cryptolockers work. You pay, or you loss your files. Its designed this way, no AV will fix it. You have to have a resident AV running before infection to block the file and not the result.

17. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Soooo is Hitman pro alert a good tool to have installed for this??

18. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Webroot monitors the changes that a malware makes if it does not detect it then when it does detect it Webroot rolls back the changes.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I had not heard of Cryptolockers.
    Will any of the top AVs block it? How about MBAM or is there too little information on this trojan to be able to tell?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

20. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I think Webroot Security Anywhere with its rollback and journaling feature has a good chance to save the day even after infection.

The user "Malwar" seems to had a good experience with Webroot roolback feature.

21. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

No response from the OP since the initial post.

22. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Yes, it was a test I conducted I turned off the real time protection from webroot installed cryptolocker let it encrypt all of the documents and did a scan without turning realtime protection back on and it removed cryptolocker and restored the documents to the stage before they was encrypted.

Thanks, Malwar

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been busy trying to get this sorted out, and also sleeping too - it was very late at night here in Australia when I started this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions.

The good news is that it turns out that I never had CryptoLocker or anything similar infecting my system. I only found a couple or minor things with Avast. Next I installed WSA which found no active infections. MBAM did a scheduled threat (quick) scan and found a few things (I had only run a Hyper (flash) Scan myself).

Also while I was doing that I did a full system backup with the excellent free Todo Backup.

My computer was running at snails pace after installed and then uninstalling several antiviruses, but I did not want to reboot my computer in case I could not access my data upon rebooting.

I then ran rkill which found some problems with the run entries in the registry, and then ComboFix (which took 90 minutes to run) which deleted a few infections.

I opened the backup I had created, on another computer and restored a few files. I was able to open the files - they had not been encrypted, so I figured it was safe to reboot. I rebooted and Windows thankfully started normally, and I was able to access my files. I received the popup again after Windows started. It was asking me if I wanted to backup my file encryption certificate and key, and said that if I did not back it up I could lose access to my encrypted file system.

You can see images of the popup here.

This is a message from Windows when you have encrypted files. I have never encrypted any files myself, so had never seen this message before, which lead me to believe I had nasty infection.

Edit: If I had taken more notice of the original popup and Googled the text from it then and there I would have know I had nothing to worry about.

So I guess now I need to find what on my system has been encrypted. One website I went to showed a command to run from a command prompt which would list any encrypted files and folders. It ran for a few minutes, but found nothing.

24. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have used Webroot on some computers for a while. I can tell you almost surely, it would not be able to reverse Cryptolocker. If you can prove me otherwise go ahead, but really its not going to happen with the way Webroot works now. I am also not talking about the tests with 3 or so document and picture files as that's pretty rudimentary. I'm talking about a whole drive with stored documents, PDF's and pictures. Webroot does not have a journal system big enough to cope with that many files.

25. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Is 4 GB of files good enough for you? If so I will make a video and post it here(or send it to you through a file sharing service of your choice).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.