Individual type preference . .

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TECHWG, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Please let us all know here out of the following categories what you think is the best is, in your opinion.

Firewall

HIPS

Behavior based protection

Mass file encryption

2. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Antivirus NOD32 2.7

Firewall toss between "Zone alarm pro" and "outpost 3"

HIPS "ProSecurity 1.22.1"

Mass encryption "Truecrypt 4.2"

behavior based "CyberHawk"

i am open to better products if i see them

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Antivirus Antivir and NOD32 are tied IMO

Firewall CHX-I easily

HIPS I like SSM, Appdefend, of the ones I have tried, but SSM has the more comprehensive protection ATM

Mass encryption Truecrypt (I love that it is multiplatform)

Behavior Blockers No thank you :D

Alphalutra1

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

your not a bahavior blocking fan then . . why>?

5. muf

muf Registered Member

Antivirus - KAV 6

Firewall - No preference but currently using KIS 6's

HIPS - Prevx1

Behavior based protection - SurfinGuard Pro

Mass file encryption - Nope.

muf

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Antivirus - KAV 6

Firewall - Outpost Pro

HIPS - SSM or ProSecurity

Behavior based protection - don't know/use

Mass file encryption - don't know/use

the above are simply what i feel are the more powerful programs. my personal preferences are different however.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

My response is based on what I have actually used and not on reviews and opinions of others.

Antivirus - McAfee and Antivir (also used Norton, but don't recommend)

Firewall - Zone Alarm

N/A on the remaining categories.

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

They are unecessary in my setup. I already have everything covered that I think is needed, and it would only take away from my RAM and CPU. Also, some do a lot of emulating, which takes time and slows me down. I also like to have all of the control in my hands, which is why I use things like appdefend and SSM.

Besides this, I don't like the community approach, since it again takes power away from my hands. I also don't like the possibily of my privacy being breached as well.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Since I am behind a router, only Avast and ProSecurity here, I do scan with Ad Aware and Spybot from time to time.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Antivirus - DrWeb & NOD32.

Firewall - Kerio 2.1.5 + Router

HIPS - SSM by a mile. The SSM folks are a class outfit with a class product. From time to time I switch to Prevx or Online Armor -- two more high class outfits with products that offer superb protection.

Behavior based protection - SSM also monitors behavior (besides lots of other areas) so I again list SSM. I also use Cyberhawk -- not because SSM needs help but because I find CH to be one of the best new products around -- ~removed unnecessary comment - snap -- and I enjoy being in on its development.

Mass file encryption - Don't need or do mass encryption. I encrypt only *certain* C drive files with AxCrypt.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  11. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

I've removed the insult exchanges between two parties, and I don't want to continue seeing them, as I'm sure other members here don't enjoy seeing them either. If those two parties wish to continue contributing to these discussion threads, I will give a final warning to cease the personal attacks, now. Gentlemen, take it to PM and resolve your differences so the rest of us can enjoy an adult discussion. Thank you.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

AV: I can't really say. I know which ones I use and I know how they feel. But I cannot say anything about their protective abilities, as I have never had a chance to catch a virus except during testing. In terms of convenience, it's AVG.

Firewall: Sygate. The best thing ever made for Windows. It's light, fast, intuitive, its future ruined by bloodthirsty capitalists. Nevertheless, it does its job flawlessly.

HIPS - I don't use, but if I had to, DefenseWall.

Behavior based - Me. I don't believe in smart AI.

Encryption - TrueCrypt.

Mrk

13. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

AV - free Antivir

FW - Outpost Pro 4 - tried Comodo but I am back to OP with there latest version - runs so smooth on my setup.

HIPS - DefenseWall - since I dont understand the pops from PG and probably not from SSM either so a sandbox-HIPS it is and since Gizmos test I feel no reason to change.

Behaviour - free Cyberhawk . its not on right now, but I am sure it will be back within a couple of upgrades. I have tested it with OP and they run well together. CH caught all 8 keyloggers at Gizmos test and thats attractive behaviour blocking :cool: to me!

Encryption - dont know enough to use it.

Best Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.