Individual File Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ray Fitzgerald, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Fitzgerald

Ray Fitzgerald Registered Member

Version 8 build 791

Hello,
    I would like to know if individual files and folders can be backed up, or do I have to image an entire drive or partition.

The box says easy restore of individual files and folders. If I accidently delete a folder for instance, how do I restore just that folder?

I have made an image of my C: drive. I would also like to have backups of just the data. If I lose the laptop, or it is destroyed, restoring the c: drive to a new computer is not what I want. In that case, I just want my data back on a new computer.

IMO the instructions for TI could be much clearer, and the interface for the product much, much clearer to use. It is somewhat confusing. Not a huge criticism, just trying to be helpful.

With all those digital cameras out there, the backup business is going to be huge.

I am using a Seagate external hard drive for the backups. It comes with backup software, I have no idea how good it is. If Acronis cannot back up individual files, I will try the Seagate product (Bouce Back).

I also have been thinking of getting an attached network storage device. I have had several hard drive failures, laptop repair disasters, etc. in the last few years. Having all my data on one backup device makes me nervous. Data on a network device is also available through a browser when on the road.

Thanks for any comment,
    Ray Fitzgerald

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you're using the latest version/build (9/2323) and you boot with the boot CD, on one of the screens you have to choose between backing up an entire drive or files and folders.

But for backing up Files and Folders I find it much easier to simply copy them on to an external usb hard drive. If you want to compress them, use the built-in feature of WinXp to do so.

3. Ray Fitzgerald

Ray Fitzgerald Registered Member

I have copied folders to the external drive for now. The problem is that the folder (digital images) is 2 gigs and growing. And it should be backed up every day. So an incremental backup of those files is what I am looking for.

On version 8 I cannot see the procedure for backing up individual files and folders.

Thanks for your input.

Ray Fitzgerald

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

5. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

For files/folders you are probably looking for something called a folder sync or folder clone program.

One popular free-for-personal-use is the Karenware Replicator pgrogram that runs and compares your backup folder with the main one and keeps them both in sync.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ray,

TI version 8.0 doesn't have the capability to backup individual files and folders; this was introduced in version 9.0.

If using Windows XP you can always use the included NT Backup utility (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe) for backing up selected files and folders. If it isn't already installed, you'll find it on the Windows XP installation CD in the VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.

Regards

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ray,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Besides of the above posted suggestions I would also like to mention that Acronis True Image 8.0 allows you to mount a disk\partition image as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Explore Image Tool and then restore individual files and folders. You can find the detailed instructions on how to perform these actions in chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 8.0 User's Guide.

Please also note that Acronis True Image 9.0 has the following capabilities of restoring the individual files and folders:

1. By means of the embedded Plug Image Tool (the same as Explore Image Tool in version 8.0);

2. Through the Recovery Wizard (see section 5.3.3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide). This approach allows you to recover individual files and folders from a disk\partition images even when you use Bootable Rescue CD (even if your image archive is spanned over a several CDs\DVDs);

3. Using the file-based backup (see sections 1.3 and 4.1 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide).

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 to see how the software works on your computer.

If you are satisfied with the work of the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please visit Acronis online store to purchase the upgrade.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.