India to develop its own OS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

10 Oct, 2010, 12.17AM IST,PTI
    India to develop its own futuristic computer operating system

Right! :rolleyes:

Wisely, no date or time frame is mentioned :oops:

Incidentally, just today, the website of one of India's business papers (http://www.business-standard.com/) was hijacked and pointed to a site for downloads of DRM-free movies !!! At the time of posting, the site is now down.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

They are also building computers to ship world-wide that will only cost $35.00 us.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

very good idea indeed. How can you trust MS for national security. Also you can save a lot of revenue too by using your own OS by using it in every good, every institution, and every business. I wish my country also thinks of it!

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

For sure they have the man power and the skills to do it. For the rest it is a lost battle but obviously in the correct direction if it's done for strategic purposes.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia or China also undertook development of an OS. HOWEVER, remember the Tucker automobile? Remember Betamax? They are examples of technology that was arguably MUCH better than its competitors, but both of those examples failed.

With real estate, it's "location, location, location." With operating systems it's "developers, developers, developers." An excerpt from THIS article . . .

I think you would enjoy reading all of the article linked above. I think you would also find interesting an earlier article on a related matter -- HERE'S the link to it.. Here's a short quote therefrom . . .

The point of the above quote -- if a developer writes a hot-selling program for use with Windows, chances are that Microsoft will build it into Windows or start selling a competing product. So developers are beginning to write Web-based software so as to steer clear of Microsoft's "buy them out or bury them" competitive tactics.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way -- if someone plans to develop an OS & keep its code "secret" -- who is to say they wouldn't build their OS around Unix, or backward engineer Linux or OS-X or Haiku/BeOS or any number of many other now extant operating systems??

There ARE a lot of options to Windows already in existence -- not just Linux. I commend you to read THIS utterly fascinating (to me at least) article.

I also include THIS link for reference -- it's mostly just facts about a plethora of operating systems BESIDES Windows. Dry but factual -- and educational (at least to me).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I seem to remember another Indian OS launch, either earlier on this year, or last.

I "think" it was in some way/s based etc on MS OS code ?

Whatever happened to that ?

This project appears to be a new approach, and it'll be interesting to see how it develops, and how stable/secure it is etc. There are a Lot of good coders in India, and plenty of outsiders employ them.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Some very nice links there!

By the way, here's a relatively out-dated link to a Chinese effort:
    People’s Processor: Embrace China’s Homegrown Computer Chips
    If the link doesn't work, search for Loongson +stallman.

And a not totally OT link is to Stallman's homepage:
    http://stallman.org/
    What a multi-faceted guy!

This link, http://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html, has this first line:
    This is an explanatory quote from the first link:

8. anandee

anandee Registered Member

Not sure... I hope to be wrong, but it seems somewhat hinting it will be a closed source effort, or maybe it is just the journalist that has so low tech understanding to still believe in security through obscurity "source code is with you and then nobody knows what's that." :(
    If it's going to be a closed source system, who will guarantee citizens that it will respect privacy and all other rules of democracy?
    And, if it is closed source, how can the Governament be sure it is not plagued by 0-day exploits that internal and external oppositors will use?

9. Beto

Beto Registered Member

Meritocracies are a pipe dream! As are perfect OS's; :D

10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Had i search for that Indian OS i remembered reading about some time back. As of yet no luck finding it :( but i did discover these.

Whilst searching i also saw this ! Posted just out interest & FYI.

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Is this OS going to be built with the best interests of the country's people ?
    There is a risk that back-doors get implemented that allow the gov. to spy on its own people.

I don't think owning the source does not mean much. The executables of the OS can be obtained, there are tools out there and the knowledge for anyone to start analysing and probing the code for weaknesses and vulnerabilities. Could lead to a false sense of security.

Also starting a closed source OS in this day and age seems a silly thing - MS has years of experience, open source projects have the advantage of knowledge sharing; starting from scratch and not being able to take advantage of experience and knowledge out there seems to be a bit of a strange decision when it comes to building a secure operating system.

I say good luck to them, but I wouldn't predict success for a long time, until more details are provided all we can do is speculate.

Cheers, Nick

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I worry about the security of this as well. First of all, why do we need a "new OS"? If you're worried about security and cost, you go to Linux, pure and simple. It's been there for years, the code is known inside and out for the most part. If you're not worried about cost and you can handle security yourself, Windows is there waiting. The code isn't known, but hell, if you've trusted them this many years, you might as well keep on. I'm not worried one bit about the trustworthiness of India's people, but I'm certainly worried about their government. And, you can forget any person with a brain using a Russian or Chinese-made OS.

This all sounds to me like, at best, a flash in the pan, one of those never-ending "hey wouldn't this be cool?" ideas that never go anywhere. At worst, it's a simple and very effective way to enable spying and control.

13. hossie

hossie Registered Member

At least finally we are thinking in the right direction, but if its going to work in the same way as our complete system work then we are inviting trouble.

I hope people involved in this would be more focus on security rather than just taking priding in making one.

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

As true as it is, most alternatives are lacking hardware support. I would love to run OS2 again, which I did before Windows '95 was released.
    The current eComStation release doesn't support my videochips, let alone other hardware like uvc webcam or networked printer.
    I like the concept of FreeBSD better than Linux's, but again it lacks the hardware support that I would need.

Apple solved this problem by restricting the hardware it supports.

Yes, we have choice, but it's not all that functional.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

They're worried about security without having any mention on simply using a version of Unix customized to their needs, which will be just as secure as anything they'll ever make.

I can't really imagine that OpenBSD can't meet their needs for security.

What I get is a negative towards the Western world and simply wanting to do it the Indian way... :blink:

17. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

No harm in that, India taught the world how to count and do Algebra among other things, maybe now and I say maybe, it will come up with something new and radical, UNIX is old and needs a revamp.

18. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yeah and maybe now American tech support too, LMAO... :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.