India suggests renaming the Internet

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

India suggests renaming the Internet.

-- Tom

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yeah, because changing the name will solve all the problems... :rolleyes:

3. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Thats what India is master at....renaming things and places lol....btw am an Indian

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Equinet isn't a bad name.

5. guest

guest Guest

Equinet? what the hell an horse has to do with the internet? unless it comes from Troy... :D

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I find it funny as (Inter-Net) could very well mean International Network, (a computer network consisting of a worldwide network of computer networks that use the TCP/IP network protocols to facilitate data transmission and exchange). Is this not the same exact thing that they want to achieve by naming it Equinet? Would that not make less sense as for example Africa or the Congo will never be "equal" in internet infrastructure, but they are a part of the (worldwide network of computer networks). So in truth they are terrible at naming and lack simple understanding?

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Don't ya love symbolic gestures? The term "equal" can mean a lot of different things here. IMO, the only "equals" that really matter are equal access to everything and equal rights to not have your every move tracked. Speed and access to technology will never be equal unless capitalism is completely eliminated. I doubt humanity will ever get past its greed enough for that to happen. IMO, the only way an "equal net" can be attempted is through a global meshnet that removes ISPs and governments from the equation. It would be extremely difficult to build, would meet with all kinds of resistance, but it would be worth it.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Why confuse matters even more by changing the name of something which is globally recognised and functions perfectly well.

9. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

The title of this thread is focused on an unimportant matter. According to that article they want more than that (of course, good things, for our own good).

10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Incidentally it was the british playwright bertrand russell who actually convinced berners-lee to use the term "world wide web" instead of the mesh which was initially the original idea for a name for the network.

11. noone_particular

Remember when they were calling it the information super highway? I doubt that anyone imagined just how much nonsense and total junk would end up there, or that it could be even more ad infested than network TV.

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, a bit true, on the other hand it does keep me entertained. :)

Yeah, they need to shut up. :D I´m Indian too btw.

13. noone_particular

Some of it is. Quite a bit of it makes me want to shut it all off and put my time to other uses.

14. Yura

Yura Registered Member

Great idea. Now if we rename ads to lads, everyone would be happy to see new cool lads everywhere around them. Oh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.