index.DAT extension file?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Carolie Pick, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolie Pick

Carolie Pick Registered Member

I have been going round and round with this dang file. I can not find out where it came from or who is using it, (keeps telling me it is being used) cant open it, cant delete it, every corner leads me to buying some "fix" for it that does not work.

When I first noticed some unexplanable problems on my lap top, I found this in my cookies and could not delete so I restored to another date and it was gone. My computer was back to normal.

Then it came back, this process of restore worked for a while, but no longer. My problems became worse, could no longer restore at all, finally I had to use my recovery disk. It was gone for about three days and was back. I am not sure if it is from a game room or if my son picked it up in a chat room or what. Now when I use my recovery disk (which wipes my hard drive) it still comes back, can it attach to my recovery disk?

How do I get rid of this "index.DAT file, Please help if you can.

Carolie

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

In your case the index dat file is a part of\generated by Windows. It is a running record so to speak of sites you visit\cookies collected. The contents can be erased, but it can not deleted, especially when Windows is running since it is locked by the OS. There are cleaning\privacy tools that will erase its`contents on restart of your PC. It is safe and quit harmless, not part of ant virus or malware.

3. Carolie Pick

Carolie Pick Registered Member

Thank you for the response ThunderZ. Do you know then why my computer wont run system restore with it in my cookies? I thought this was causing it. Also puter is very slow and just runs bad. I purchased Regcure because supposedly there is a problem with my registry but this does not cure anything. Now Microsoft wants me to purchase something that is suppose to fix ito_O

Carolie

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Thank you Ronjor. Being sure the PC is clean of any malware would seem to be the next logical step.

@ Carolie Pick. Just what is it MS would like you to purchase?
    The index dat file, or should I say it`s apperance\your discovery of it, IMO, is purely coincidental and I assure you has nothing to do with your situation. Use the link provided by Ronjor. My guess is it will go a long way in solving your problems. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

hello Carolie
    ThunderZ has spoken true.
    Ronjor has given a good suggestion

Out of interest; Google Regcure if you haven't already
    From Paretologic that dev'd XSoftSpy which was a bit on the nose previously..

Apart from the fact that registry cleaners are fraught with risks, RegCure has a few panties in a twist here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/469582-regcure.html
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/472631-solved-regcure.html

Search here @wilders and you will find many threads discussing regcleaners.

Will you let us know what you do and the results please.

7. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

CCleaner deletes that file on restart when selected, if you concerned about its content, use firefox instead :D

8. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I agree with you OldMX! Use CCleaner to delete it. If you want a software that does not require installation, delete it using Regseeker. If you want to view the file's contents, just google ".dat file reader/viewer".

9. true north

true north Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.