Incremental vs. Differential

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Backupguy, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backupguy

Backupguy Registered Member

I just created my first Image from my laptop drive. And I still do not start the difference between an Incremental and a Differential backup. Should I do an incremental backup from now on or a differential ?

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Backupguy,

With incrementals, you produce a chain of files, where each one holds everything that changed since the previous incremental was created. You need all the previous images up to and including the full one, to restore.

With differentials you normally have just the full and one differential, the latter taking up all that changed since the full. You need only two files to restore, but any subsequent differential shall be larger than the previous one, which can now be deleted.

But do read the User's Guide, by all means. No trial and arror approach with such a powerful software as TI is.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Backupguy,

If you require further clarification (?!!) check out this previous thread titled <Important Questions>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.