Incremental images same size as full images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by johnnytripod, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnytripod

johnnytripod Registered Member

I made a full backup image of my computer. Approx. 30 GB. Immediately made an incremental image based on the new backup file. Size: approx 30 GB. Then made a second incremental image. Size: approx 30 GB. Why is it doing this? Does System Restore need to be turned off? No files are being changed yet TI doesn't seem to realize this. Help! This won't work for our company. Johnny

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  2. johnnytripod

3. johnnytripod

Do the lack of replies mean when everyone else does an incremental image backup that it is very small compared to the full backup? I.e. no problems? Or is no one doing that at all? Thanks. I'd love to know if this is my personal problem or a TI one. Thanks. Johnny

4. dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 Registered Member

I think it has to do with you not giveing the system time to change state.
    You immediately did another image but since nothing had changed the only thing it could do was show a mirror copy of the other image.

If you want a true test either wait a few days and reimage or at least move some files around, add or remove some programs, create new folders etc something to duplicate activity. Then reimage the system if you keeep track of the size of the stuff you have changed it should pretty close match the image size.

Try this and see. An incremental shows only the changes made since the last image.

Hope this helps

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. johnnytripod

Maybe I'm unclear on what an incremental image backup is. I assumed it would be comparing sectors to what the full backup archived and, if there was no change, than it wouldn't be backed up. But if it backs up all the sectors that have data in them whether they've changed or not, then how is this different than another full backup? I know my Outlook Express files changed and yet I have a full image of 30 GB and then, the next day, an incremental image of 30 GB. I just don't seem the point unless the program is screwy. By the way, I did remove the program and reinstall. This is Bld 2337 and the trial version. Ghost, anyone?

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello johnnytripod,

What you describe is not normal behaviour although there will always be a certain amount of changed used sectors just be opening and closing Windows and other apps, plus any additional Windows System Restore points that may have been created.

I'm just wondering whether you have some sort of corruption of your hard drive, thereby causing TI to carry out sector-by-sector imaging? Might be worth checking this out. To do this select Windows "Start" > "Run" and then enter the command chkdsk x: /r for each partition on your hard drive (where x is the letter of the partition being tested).

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.