Incremental Images Large in Size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jazzy639, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzy639

jazzy639 Registered Member

Hello,

Im using the latest version of TI and I am wanting to use incremental images.

I left the PC doing a full backup overnight, I then created a Word file and did an incremental backup, the resulting backup was 300MB. The full backup was 20GB.

I can not understand why the incremental is so big compared to that of incrementals from Dantz Retrospect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Use fast incrementals.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The incremental is going to capture every secotr that has been written to since the last backup, including the Win Restore files, etc.

If you defrag, you'll have many if not most or all sectors written to.

sh

4. jazzy639

All I did was add a Word file and setup a schedule for backups for a few minutes after I was creating the schedule so it would 'automatically' create an incremental image in a few minutes. I did not defrag the Hard Drive or do anything else.

I cannot understand why it is so large for an incremental.

I have been using Retrospect Express 6.5, the incrementals were small.

5. jazzy639

Any ideas?

Thanks

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Assuming that you are doing disk/partition imaging:
    TI works on “in use” sectors, not files. Maybe all YOU did was add a Word doc since the backup, but it’s a good bet that Windows did a lot more. If a file is moved, unchanged, from one place to another, TI will backup those sectors.
    Windows creates restore points, does a mini version of a defrag (“application optimization” I think) and who knows what else; all of which can cause a larger than expected INC/DIFF image.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Also, there is some overhead to link the incremental to the original full image.

If you tray adding another Word doc and then create a second incremental, I'd expect it to be much smaller then the first one.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.