Incremental Image File Names

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by H Tello, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H Tello

H Tello Guest

Suppose I schedule a full image on Sunday and then incremental images on Monday through Friday. The file name for the Sunday job is named "image".
    At the end of the week I have 6 files:
    image, image1, image2, image3, image4, image5.

On then next Sunday the file "image" is replaced with a new full backup. Right? What happens on Monday? Does "image1" get replaced or do I end up with a "image6" file?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Provided the new full backup is named "image" as you say then the subsequent incrementals will overwrite the original image1, image2, image3 etc.

Regards

3. agentstarks

agentstarks Registered Member

The problem with that is that on the first day of the second week, if you have it overwrite your file named "image" then you've just toasted the rest of last week. Files "image2" thru "image5" are incrementals, and won't work if you've overwritten the original image they are based on.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

That's very true (note that image1 will also be orphaned) but weekly rolling restore points can easily be achieved by using the scheduled backup strategy proposed by Acronis Support at post #12 in this previous thread titled <Weekly Backup strategy>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.