Incremental & Differential Backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Fiery_WA, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiery_WA

Fiery_WA Registered Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have HDM 2009 and now HDM 2011 installed on my PC, I have both scheduled to perform backups on different days.

This however is chewing up my 1TB external space, so I thought I would add both Incremental & Differential Backups, as I already have a complete backup (several actually)

I opened HDM 2011 and went to the folder I had created for HDM 2011 backups, followed the Wizard, and not one file I clicked on gave me the option to press the "next" button. (Incremental).

So I went to the backups made with 2009, same problem bar 1 folder that allowed me to schedule an incremental backup.

I then tried a differential backup, same problem not one folder would allow me to continue to the "next" button.

In all of the backups made with HDM 2009 I was just was not given the choice, however with the backups I have been making with HDM 2011 I received this message :- improper type of base archive.

Now I will be honest I don't know whether or not to do an incremental or differential backup. If I can get either to work.

Then comes the dumb question of what impact will either of these two backups have over a complete backup.

So far I have played it safe and only done full backups (which haven't let me down when needed).

I have 1 external 1TB hard drive dedicated just for my backups, and it is filling fast, I have deleted a number of them in order to make room for the later backups.

Call me stupid, but I would rather keep as many backups as possible, for that "just in case" scenario.

Ok I found 1 file in 2009 and one in 2011 full backups, set it up to do a scheduled incremental and differential backup.

Now being a woman I have changed my mind and want to stick with a full backup. How do I cancel these two backups I have created?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Could you please specify what was selected for base archive? Hard Disk\partition? Is it complex backup (2 partitions or 1 partition + MBR) ?

Could you also post here some screens where option to click Next for Incremental|Differential is not shown?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.