Incremental backups.........?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ???, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ???

??? Guest

I'm probably showing my complete stupidity here, but.....
    I'm using ATI 8 to make a scheduled backup of one partition onto the other.
    This is setup as an incremental backup.

On the backup partition, I get, for instance, mybackup.tib --this is the original full backup..
    then i have mybackup2.tib --which is the first incremental backup
    then I have mybackup3.tib --which is the second incremental backup.

the fourth would add a 4.tib file...
    very quickly, the partition that I have for the backup is full......

To me, append means to add the new info onto the old info and increase the file size.. not to continually add large file after large file until the available space is used up....?

What am I doing wrong?? Surely it wasn't designed to work this way?...

help ;)

2. brachd

brachd Registered Member

I have the same problem and am waiting on a reply
    The Incremental backup seems to include the origional backup as well thus increasing the total size of backups
    Blair

3. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

Each incremental backup represents changes in sectors since the previous incremental backup. Minor changes such as editing a few files will have less effect than say defragmenting a disk - which would produce an incremental close to the same size as the base backup.

What you need to do next is create another scheduled task which creates a full backup. So say your current incremental runs daily, you could set a full backup to schedule weekly. After this runs all your incrementals are orphaned and will be subsequently overwritten by the scheduled incremental process which will base itself on changes since the newly created image(s).

Another contributor (please do a search) has suggested something along the lines of the following to have a rolling backup, I do something similar and it works well.

Have four incremental backups for the same partition which write in separate subdirectories (or use distinctive names). Then setup four fullbackup tasks which write a full backup to each subdirectory at offset dates. For example, say your incrementals were backing up daily, you could then have full backups which write on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd of the month. After a month you will not consume very much more diskspace and you will always have a rolling backups for each day of the last month.

Hope this helps.

4. alankuehnau

alankuehnau Registered Member

Hey Foghorn,
    I'm not sure I understood you on this. I too am having an issue in which the incremental B/Us are starting to fill the alloted drive.
    How can I continue to do incremental B/Us and recycle my drive realestate?

Alan

5. brachd

brachd Registered Member

One possible cause and I found it in my own case, is if I do a drefrag then all the files are changed and the incremental backup is very large due to this

6. drhanso

drhanso Registered Member

Hi,

to check TI8 I made a full backup and then an incremental backup (1 minute later). The TIB files resulting are absolutely the same size but they shouldn't??

-Hans

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello drhanso,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please make sure you create incremental back up in the second case and you haven't got complex services that works with disk in the background.

If it is not the case please contact support@acronis.com with the description of the problem and send the screenshot of the folder with these two image files (please choose "View" -> "Details" in the folder option so that the size of the files is shown).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.