Incremental backups are nearly as large as the full they are based on?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by catman915, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catman915

catman915 Registered Member

If I do an incremental backup it usually winds being as large as the Full. The fact is that there hasn't been that much material added since the Full. Would appreciate any assistance. Running Ti11 on vista 32. Thanks

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Do you defrag?
    Are the INC and FULL stored in the same location?

3. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Vista has the disadvantage that it is permanently busy with optimizing, sorting, etc.
    For Ti these files are marked as 'changed' and will be backuped.

Under Vista the 'full-backup' is the best method.

You can search here in the forum (use the Search-Button) for other threads concerning this behavior...

EDIT:
    e.g. Click

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. catman915

Yes on the defrag, Yes they are in same place. A question came to mind, when you select the full that you want to increment do you have to select the last .tib file in the series or will selecting the first file work. the reason I ask is that I just purposely selected the last file and it worked as it should?

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

A defrag will move things about and TI will see this as a change and back them up.
    If you set up a scheduled INC, you can't pick the latest .tib file as it changes after each run. So I suspect selecting any file in the set should work the same as any other.

6. SloPoke

SloPoke Registered Member

Something must be wrong with your Vista installation because mine doesn't continuously and permanently sort, optimize, and move things around. I schedule my defrags just before I do my weekly full backup. During the week, the incrementals are just a small fraction of the full image size.

7. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

@SloPoke
    - autom. file indexing
    - superfetch
    - windows defender
    - autom. defrag

These 4 points are responsible for moving files under Vista.

But: you can switch off all of them...

8. catman915

Thanks to all for info. Not sure what's going on, also have XP on machine and same thing has happened in the past. I misled a bit about defrag. I have in the past but not since last full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.