Incremental Backup Catch 22

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hahaiah, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hahaiah

Hahaiah Registered Member

New laptop MSI 1029 with toshiba 16mb 80gb HD

Been using v8 Corp b1158 for some time with no probs on desktop. Using boot disc, backup and restore fine.

Laptop however is a different story. v8 Boot disc takes 15 hours to backup or restore ... v9 normal version latest build as of this date backs up and restores quickly but does not work for INCREMENTAL backups.

Thought I had a solution, Installed v8 Corp on laptop running in windows and backups take normal time and incremental works too. However, I have to restore using v9, after restore is complete, if I try to add an ADDITIONAL incremental archive, it fails and creates a FULL backup again ... damn ... please fix this excellent program ...

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hahaiah,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If I understand you correctly, then the problem is that the size of the first incremental image is always the same (or almost the same) as the size of the full image archive. If that's the case then please note that this problem is known already and will be fixed in the near builds of Acronis True Image 9.0. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

Hi

I think you should do more beta testing . . . I just upgraded to TI 9 and have not seen any problems yet (I have done no backups yet) but, I am on dial-up, and the download of the 40MB TI9 file took around 2 1/2 hours. If someone calls during this 2 1/2 hours, it's back to the beginning again.

I think its a bit much to expect everyone to download frequent updates of such a large file.

Regards

Lauchlan

4. SSK_offline

SSK_offline Guest

Maybe a download manager withnresume function could be of service in your situation? :)

5. Lauchlan Mackinnon

Lauchlan Mackinnon Registered Member

I tried 5 or 6 of them, none were any good. Either they were badly written progrmas (GUIs), they didn't manage the downloads properly, or they interefered with Windows too much and had too many downsides.

If you know a GOOD download manager, say the name and if I haven't tried it already I'll give it a go.

Anyway, I am only on dial-up while in 'temporary' accomodation. Problem should be resolved soon.

6. SSK_offline

SSK_offline Guest

I'm sorry, I don't have a recomendation. I'm on DSL so no need for them :)
    Thought I mention them, maybe you had never heard of them.

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi.

I use Ida (internet download accelerator).
    You can try it here:

http://www.westbyte.com/

Hope it helps you.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

8. MPlant

MPlant Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.