Incomplete Install - Uninstaller not present

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by snake_anthony, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snake_anthony

snake_anthony Registered Member

Hey,

I tried to install Smart Security 4.0.437.0 on Win XP SP2 system but the computer froze completely at the point of "removing backup files".

However, after a restart Smart Security is operating. The problem now is that is seems impossible to remove it and make a re-install that finishes properly.
    • There is no Smart Security entry in the Add/Remove Programs section of the Control Panel
    • The Uninstaller in the Start Menu fails, saying something analogous to "This action is available only for installed products."
    • When trying to run the installer again on top of the existing incomplete install the install process will stuck, claiming "The installer has insufficient privileges to modify various files" and registry entries.

Thus it seems the only possible way of cleaning this up is a manual removal. Is the procedure still the same as described here for the 3.0 product versions?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN558

Or is there any other workable solution?

The initial problem of the incomplete install described above happened with version 4.0.437.0 - prior version 4.0.422.0 installed properly.

Thanks very much for your help and support!

Julian

2. SamSa

SamSa Eset Staff Account

Boot into Safe mode and do the following:

1. Delete files and folder

Folders:
    C:\Program Files\ESET
    C:\ProgamData\ESET
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET
    Registry keys:
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET

2. Go to Window's Services and disable ESET Services
    a. ESET Service
    b. ESET Http Server

3. Go to Device Manager and disable drivers for ESET.

a. In Device Manager, go to View on the menu bar and select "Show Hidden devices". This opens up "Non-Pug and Play Drivers" in devices manager .
    b. Disable "ehdrv" and "epfwtdir" drivers.

Boot back to normal and try to reinstall.

3. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

If still un-successfull, try to contact Marcos, he can provide you with Uninstaller tool.

4. snake_anthony

snake_anthony Registered Member

Hey,

Thank you very much for the guide, it worked!

However, some additional steps had been necessary:
    • Folder C:\Program Files\ESET could not be deleted completely due to the file "shellExt.dll" - it was necessary to run a registry scan for "shellExt.dll" and remove the entry first.
    • In Device Manager, "ehdrv" and "epfwtdi" needed to be deinstalled, not just disabled.

After this, the new installation attempt was successful and finished properly.

Thank you for your help again. You might want to keep the two points in mind for an eventual manual uninstallation guide.

Cheers
    Julian

5. Pauwell

Pauwell Registered Member

i did everything on my vista system you wrote but the reinstall doesnt work. i still get the "Could not write value Name to key \Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\1. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key" messege

3 things i couldnt find on my system:

1. there ist no c:\documents and setting\.... folder on my system. there was an application Data folder but there was no ESET in it.

2. This entry was not in the windows services: "ESET Http Server"

3. "epfwtdir" driver was not found on my system

Other Things i have noticed:

There ist still the EEST Symbol in my Outlook 2007 Menubar. I can turn it off, but qhy is it still there?

My Windows Vista "Systemsecurity" says, that my System uses ESET Smart Security 4 but it doesnt work so it has been disabled. Why is it in the list when i deleted everything?

6. SamSa

SamSa Eset Staff Account

Thank you for the updates.

7. SamSa

SamSa Eset Staff Account

Are you deleting these entries in Safe Mode?
    If you're using vista please delete these entries:

Folders:
    C:\Program Files\ESET
    C:\ProgamData\ESET
    Registry keys:
    -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESET
    -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET

Did you deinstall the driver "ehdrv" and disable the service "Eset Service"?

Depending on your setup, you might need to use the Microsoft's Window Installer Cleanup Utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

You can also contact ESET Support and we can send you the uninstaller tool.

http://www.eset.com/support/contact.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.