Inbuilt undelete for Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wai_Wai, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Vista comes with an inbuilt undelete. I find it very useful.

Unlike file recovery software, I think it will back up any deleted and changed files for a specific time. If you mis-delete a file, you can easily restore since a copy is ready. Even if you mis-saved/changed the existing file, you can restore to the older version too. It is a 100% way which files can be recovered.

I don't like the current method which file recovery software uses. It is unreliable. They search for deleted files hoping that it is not overwritten. Not just that. Sometimes even if I tries to recover deleted files immediately after I mis-deleted a file, it still couldn't find and recover it. It should have not been overwritten yet. Weird!
    Also it couldn't help if you has accidentally mis-overwritten your PhD thesis.

Question:
    Does anyone know whether there is a good and reliable file backup/versioning software for Windows XP which can offer features like what Vista does?

It doesn't matter even if it is shareware.

2. Wai_Wai

Up. Don't let Windows Vista has one thing better than Windows XP. :(
    Is there any software which can do what Windows Vista provides?

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely :cool: In the form of an app named FirstDefense-ISR. It not only duplicates files/folders but also settings and allows to even archive those same files, heck, EVERY SINGLE FILE/FOLDER as in EVERYTHING! Mishaps like deleting a needed file is no problem as long as a program stores copies of them for you.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Doesn't Avira offer an "undelete" programo_O

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeh, avira offers a free program called unerase for personal use. Thats what i use and it seems to work pretty good.

6. Wai_Wai

How does it really work?

I know there are plenty of file recovery software but they are not reliable. Even files deleted just a few minutes ago can't be recovered for some reasons.

If Avira Unerase can keep my deleted files for a specific period and recover when I need, it would be what I want. I read the website description, it doesn't say how it works.

PS: Found the manual. It is just another file recovery program. That is not what I want. I want a 100% mechanism which will keep all my deleted/changed files safe. The mechanism is it will catch all deleted files and at least 1 old version of changed file. Keep them over a specific period before they are truly deleted.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  7. Wai_Wai

As far as I know, it snapshot my whole system.
    Is it possible to recover one file only?

Also I don't switch off the computer often. I hibernate it most of the time.
    It can't protect my files up to the second like the one mentioned in my first post.
    This will also occupy more space than I want.

Anyway this is viable solution but doesn't fit all my needs.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Wai_Wai

If you're referring to FD-ISR the answer is NO.

FD-ISR protects it's snapshot folders from user-mode access, but with the explorer-like program XYplorer which also is a Shareware commercial product, it CAN!

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

AJC Active Backup

http://www.ajcsoft.com/AJCActBk.php

10. Wai_Wai

Thank you.

Found a open source program called Fundelete. It says it will catch all deleted files into the enhanced recycle bin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.