Inappropriate Censorship

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by spm, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spm

spm Registered Member

Re this thread...

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25350;start=0#msg147935
    I have to say I am quite appalled by your post. J M made a post in good faith and explained clearly how he had attempted to provide evidence to Eset. For you to jump on him so thoughtlessly and unprofessionally is akin to censorship out of personal animosity, rather than appropriate moderation. This kind of response from you is becoming more and more commonplace, and IMO is out of place from someone in your position on these forums.

Your apparent campaign to stamp out what you see as anything less-than-adoring of NOD32 does no-one any favours, and will serve only to encourage Eset to ignore legitimate concerns, and its customers to be lulled into a false sense of security.

You may think that the narrow apology you later posted was sufficient. I for one do not, seeing it rather as a malaise that needs to be stopped.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Steve,

Sorry you see it that way. J.M and my person have settled this in the meanwhile. Please refrain from words like censorship - nothing has been censored at all.

Your opinion has been noted.

regards.

paul

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

IMO, the "malaise that needs to be stopped" is "Chicken Little" postings every few months with open ended titles like "NOD32 MISSES VIRII OTHER APPS CATCH ;(" regarding viruses that NOD32 supposedly "missed" in an amateur "test" that turn out to be hogwash-- matters that could have been handled privately with a note to Eset included in the "virus" submission, rather than embarrassing oneself and wasting everyone's time in a public SUPPORT forum.

But that's just me...;)

4. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I'm more concerned that Eset didn't seem to want to know about the viruses submitted because the "user was unknown".If something is submitted as being missed by nod surely the 1st priority should be to find out why not if the user is known or not!
    Have a look at Kavs home page:-anybody can submit viruses to them not just registered users!

5. spm

spm Registered Member

And exactly what evidence do you have to offer that proves the test was "amateur" and "hogwash"? Perhaps it is just because you dismiss postings with such titles (i.e, without ever reading them) that you seem to equate the meaning of "hogwash" and "amateur" with "I don't like to hear such things, so I will rubbish them out of hand, without any justification whatsoever, irrespective of whether they have any import".

Instead, maybe it was not J.M. who was "embarrassing oneself and wasting everyone's time in a public SUPPORT forum." But maybe that's just you...;)

Let me ask you ... if I, as a user, find that NOD32 lets ITW viruses through during normal operation that one or more other A/V products catch, and I reported that here, would you accuse my posting of being "chicken little" and/or "hogwash", and accuse me of being "amateur"? I'll be very interested to hear your attitude on this.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The only problem Steve is that many of the posts being talked about aren't people saying that a real ITW virus came in and infected their systems. Oh certainly, NOD32 like any AV could miss a virus from time to time, and those are the very ones that should be submitted to Eset. You'd be helping to improve the products detection capability by reporting those.

But, the threads that often cause panic are those that start out be the user saying they download a bunch of malware and scanned it with NOD and it missed some.

It's those tests that need to be looked at carefully. How were they performed? What settings were used in NOD32? Are the malware samples even real viruses or broken samples instead.

As it turned out, the thread you referenced was exactly one of these types of user based tests... Per this quote:

And here was the answer. It was broken/bad malware samples...

Such posts can panic people who read the thread and then conclude NOD32 (or any other AV product - we have similar threads about other AV products missing malware in the "other anti-virus forum", too) is missing real live viruses that will shortly probably hit their system.

Tests should be questioned and need to be in order to find out exactly what happened and to confirm if there is a problem or not.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That's not what happen or what the poster was saying. Take a look at his quote again:

The submission was not rejected because the sender (the original poster in that thread) was unknown to Eset. It was an email bounce message from the Eset mail server. The submission address used was incorrect. The user that was not known was: "sample@eset.com".

As later mentioned in that thread, there is a typo in that help file. The submission address is actually: "samples@nod32.com" (notice the "s" at the end). Once used, the samples went through.

Anyone can submit malware samples they just need to send them to the correct address. Eset will need to fix the help file, of course to ensure other people don't have that problem in the future.

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

No. If you find that NOD32 does not detect an ITW virus--and you submit the samples to Eset--I will say "Thanks Steve!" --as I'm sure all NOD32 users will. ;)

If you download a bunch of maybe-viruses from "the Internet" and scan them and report your results in the NOD32 SUPPORT FORUM with a "Weekly World News" headline, without confirming whether the files are IN FACT viruses--and possibly panicking users for no reason--then yes, "Chicken Little" would probably apply. ;)

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ladies and gents,

In my humble opinion opinions have been expressed, answers have been provided; continguing this thread will not reveal anything new.

For that reason this thread has been closed. In case anyone feels the need to re-open it: drop one of the admins an IM coming with reasons for doing so.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.