inaccessible_boot_device error whan resotring image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zdzzd, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zdzzd

zdzzd Registered Member

Hi,

I have one server image (Dell PE1650) using boot image CD 7.0, recently I need to restore it into another newer server model of Dell PE1750, after I restored and rebooted, it has blue screen error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF681B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I only restored the OS and application data partitions, are there any steps I'm arong at? I need to use the new server for this application, the os is W2K advanced server with sp4.

thanks!

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822052
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_xlxv.asp

In short: Windows is not able to talk to the disk. The PE1750 must be using a different harddisk controller than the PE1650, and your restored Windows do not contain the required device driver for the new controller.

You need to repair the restored Windows install, perhaps even add some Dell-specific drivers to the system before/during the repair.

But this is hardly a True Image problem, so I will stop here.

3. zdzzd

zdzzd Registered Member

Thank you very much for the reply.

Previously I was told by tech support that TrueImage can support image backup/restore between different hardware models, now it looks obviously there are some more to be done when doing such jobs, but no such documents can be found on the web site, dont know whether TrueImage tech support can provide any more information.

4. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

It has nothing to do with the backup/restore. Your copy is a perfect one.

It's just that Windows needs to know what drivers to use to boot from your new setup.

Check Microsoft Knowledge base, repair install. Use F6 to add mass storage driver of the new machine at install. Just to be sure, run the repair console first and use bootcfg /rebuild. This will look for all windows setups and puts them in the boot.ini, to make sure the repair install "sees" the old windows install. Windows repair just looks in places where boot.ini references to old installs. Moving to new hardware (other partitions, controllers, ...) can mess this up.

Slipstreaming your setup CD with the latest service pack can avoid surprises. To be sure you should make a bootable Windows 2000 advanced server disk with SP4. Slipstreaming is explained all over the net!

So, when moving from old to new hardware:

1) Clone

2) Repair Console, bootcfg /rebuild

3) Repair Windows install and use F6 to add your new mass storage drivers (remember NOT to choose repair in the first screen of setup. Wait until after the F8 part, setup will "find" an old install and offer to repair it)

4) Install Service packs to match old setup.

I use this method *every time* to move old windows server setups to brand new hardware - after this step I do an inplace upgrade to windows 2003 setup. Never failed!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zdzzd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 826 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

We also recommend you to create a new bootable CD. Please read the following information: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#17. Please prepare your system, then boot from Acronis Rescue CD and create the image. After you can restore your image to the new PC.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. zdzzd

zdzzd Registered Member

I'm the newbie to sysprep tool, I'm trying to restore my production server image into another server with different model, if I run sysprep on my production server to create the backup image will it affect my production w2k?

thanks!!

7. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

Don't use Sysprep, use the method I explained 2 or 3 posts ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.