Inaccessible_Boot_Device Blue Screen of Death. Win2k

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by theoh, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoh

theoh Registered Member

We are evaluating the Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows with the Universal Restore. The first server i tried this on was a Windows 2000 Advance Server that has SQL 2000 installed on it. I made a backup of the server and restored it on a desktop machine. It looks like it's booting up OK, I see the Windows splash screen, then BAM.. Blue screen of Death saying Inaccessible_Boot_Device. I thought maybe i needed to restore the MBR, so i used the Acronis CD Image that restores it.. but got the same error. Please help!

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I always check the "partition ID" drive letter whenever I have a restored drive that doesn't boot up completely (hangs/loops at the logon screen).

Fixmbr/fixboot/repair installations won't fix a "partition ID" drive letter problem. Just remember that "partition ID" drive letter is different than the "mounted devices" drive letters. Usually the "mounted devices" drive letter from the source drive is the same on the restored drive. That's what I would check first.

You can use the "savepart" utility, it is now available as a standalone ISO file. Just download the file that says "spartiso.zip" and use nero or imgburn to burn the ISO to a CD.

1.)bootup with the savepart cd, type savepart at command prompt.
    2.)next choose "update windows2000/xp/vista registry" doubleclick on it.
    3.)next doubleclick on the "disk number 0" this is usually the hard drive that has your partitions.
    4.)next click on the partition that has your system (make a note of the drive letter, this is your mounted device drive letter) most default installations it will be "c".
    5.)the next screen is blue and has directorys, here choose the "WINDOWS" directory and doubleclick on it.
    6.)On next screen just double click on the partition shown.
    7.)It'll take you back to the screen on step 4, doubleclick on the "C" partition.
    8.)Finally your in the "drive letter to affect this partition" box. This is where it will show you the "partition ID drive letter" it should be the same as the "mounted device drive letter".

If these 2 drive letters don't match, then you hard drive will not boot.
    http://www.partition-saving.com/

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello theoh,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup software.

Could you please clarify whether you restored entire disk backup or system partition only? If you restored system partition only I'd recommend you to restore entire disk backup if it's suitable for you. As a matter of fact the source disk may have a hidden maintenance partition created by the computer vendor. Therefore, if you check each partition for backup instead of checking the disk, this hidden partition will not be included into the image and this can cause boot failure as the link to the mentioned partition can still present in boot configuration files.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.