Inability to upgrade/migrate from NOD32 to Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ThrowawayUsername, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrowawayUsername

ThrowawayUsername Registered Member

Operating System: Windows 7 Home x64

Long time user of NOD32, I decided that, as I moved off my family-home group of licences and onto my own specific-to-me set of licences, I also felt like going with Smart Security. Apparently this was my first mistake?

An attempt to install off the bat it asks if I want to perform an "upgrade installation," so I figured that this installation would be safe to perform. The installation fails saying I need to restart first. Fine, fair enough.

A restart later it tells me I haven't restarted yet. Sceptically I restart again, and once again get the same message. At this point I've decided that it's definitely not me acting up.

A glance at the program folder shows me that the program has deleted its own uninstaller, so I delete the Program Files folder and its matching ProgramData folder and restart (for good measure). No success.

I downloaded the Eset Uninstaller offered for the manual removal and booted my computer in safe mode, running that uninstaller successfully. After rebooting and removing the Program Files / ProgramData ESET folders again, I am STILL getting the installation errors.

This wouldn't be so bad if I could at least fall back on NOD32, but even with the manual uninstall et al I am unable to load even that. While the irony of installing Eset Smart Security leaving me literally unable to install any Eset products has not escaped my attention, I hope you can appreciate why this doesn't really cheer me up. Is this typical behaviour for Smart Security's installer? Regardless, what can I do?

2. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest that you create an install log per the instructions here and supply it to ESET customer care for perusal.

4. ThrowawayUsername

ThrowawayUsername Registered Member

Ah, thanks for the welcome - ehdrv appears to already be gone from my drivers, and Device Manager lists a suspiciously similar "esihdrv" that I'm not certain is safe to delete. Is this merely the ESS variation?

In the meantime I'll do the installation log as Marcos requested.

5. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hey ThrowawayUsername
    To be perfectly honest I am not sure about the file "esihdrv" ,so it's wise not to delete it. So to be on the safe side, I think it is wise to go down the road that Marcos has suggested. Would it be possible for you to post back to this thread when you and customer care have found a solution. :)

Best Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.