In the market for the best Anti-Spyware ap

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bah, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bah

bah Guest

Hey People

I am currently in the market for a software program that will cover all my anti-spyware needs.

I want the best and am willing to pay for the best.

But I dont want a program that is a resource hog. I dont have a slow computer, i just hate bloated software.

I also dont want to have to install multiple software programs that do the same thing.

I was under the impression Spysweer was the best....what do you guys reccommend... or are their any independent review sites that have the success/failure detection rates for the different programs like avreports.com

??

Thanks heaps fellas

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Bah;

Spysweeper is probably considered the best by most people. ;) But truthfully I wouldn't waste money on any Anti-Spy, between Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D (and you can throw in Bazooka too) you'll be fairly well covered. Especially considering most AVs also target spyware/adware too.

You can see the test Eric Howes has conducted here

Ewido also covers a lot of Spyware, which comes in both an on-demand freeware version or a full featured pay version.

Regards;

Steve

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I would have to say Spyware Doctor. It covers running processes, malicious programs added to startup, Generic keylogger detection, and much much more. As Dog stated you could use apps like he stated but I doubt that any free software you find will do the same job as SD. It is pretty inexpensive as well. You can read a nice reveiw from Spywareinfo here http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/articles/spyware/spywaredoctor.php

Thanks,

Chris

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

From Eric's tests it appears that Giant and Spysweeper are the best. Is it not correct that Giant was bought by MS and that the basic engine of the MSAS is Giant? Isn't also Counterspy about the same as Giant? I note that Counterspy is not listed.

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

bah,

Before you purchase a dedicated anti-spyware program, I would encourage you to take a look at the beta version of Kaspersky Internet Suite (KIS) 2006, go to a thread with links to the most recent build, it's at 225 as of today. Try this as your sole security application. You will need to uninstall your other realtime security applications (AV/firewall/etc) before installing. Looks quite nice at this point and clearly lighter than previous versions.

Blue

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I agree with Blue, the KIS 2006 suite is pretty nice. I uninstalled Look'N'Stop for the Anti-Hacker firewall and it is good enough to pass the present leaktests. The anti-hacker rule setup somewhat appears like if you were setting up rules in Outpost, which is easy. When the proactive part of KIS 2006 is actually finished and rock solid, KIS 2006 will be a very strong all-in-one interent secuirty suite that uses less than 10 MB's combined for the two avp.exe items that run in the taskmanger. I am still working on the finding the different registry keys KIS 2006 watches compared to RegDefend. That of course is another subject that has its own thread. KIS 2006 registry protection might replace RegDefend; that is only for those who don't want double registry protection, don't want to waste 10 MB's, and get annoyed with the double popups.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.