In Search Of Optimal/Perfect Firewall, But What If..

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Perman, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks;

We are all, perhaps, in search of an optimal/perfect firewall for our own use.

During such process, while using a sub-perfect product, have you ever encountered a failure on that firewall ? if any, what are those symptoms ?

Take care.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I havent encountered "failure" but theres usually something I may not like about any particular firewall.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Would that "something" on a particular firewall, which we likely have faced at some point of time, clip the ability of protection ? and subsequently constitute a fatal failure ?

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

A waste of time/ space on server.

All users of any firewall will find a problem, be it from a bad UI to incorrect/inproper/non inbound filtering.

If you do personally ever find a "Optimal/Perfect Firewall" then let us all know, we can then give our opinion on how bad the firewall is.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI, Stem:

Thanks your inputs, but still did not solve my puzzle:

If a firewall with the problem/problems you just described,

Is it still safe to use ? I mean its core function (to protect user).

Thanks.

6. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

You have to be more specific. What do you mean by failure?

Failure in terms of software vulnerabilities or failure in terms of bugs?

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

What I mean by Failure is:

Firewall can not perform its assigned duty--to shield users any attack from outside or within.

If software vulnerabilities or design bugs are the source of such failure, then that app does not meet its job description.

I have viewed so many reports after reports pointing out a given firewall's shortcomings, in academic, theoretical, and often experimental details, but up to this moment, have yet to see a single one to conclude that a given firewall is deemed Safe or Risky to use (pls correct me here, I may be over sighted).

Therefore, at the end of day, I still do not know the firewall being used is Oked to keep or not, even not perfect/optimal , of course

Take care.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

So far the firewalls Ive tried have stealthed my ports (except Avira Suite which I think needed tweaking). I dont know a lot about firewalls so I dont know of other failures.

Sygate has that proxy issue though.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You can also ask about the level of SPI in a firewall that advertises it, even taking steps to seek that answer from "the horses mouth" but the horse might be reluctant to answer, and even treat your question as a trivial matter worthy of being swept under the carpet, as it were :cautious:

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Sometimes a software firewall will fail to load or initialize properly. It is usually going to be due to another major system change, like installing a different AV.

11. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

one system that i deem harden-enough even in its initial deployment was 'smoothie', good enough for enterprise-class deployment. I know of & seen one midsize US-based call center operator that operates a couple of center in our AsiaPacific region that uses several 'smoothies' in each of their site.

But still, i got techies' complain from smoothie deployment due to its requirement of using spare boxes... for the specific reason of '...that ugly & out-of-place thing'. :D

But the most talkabout concern is 'reliability', which often got into conversations. :eek:

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Based on the above quote, it seems that the user is more responsible for the failure of a firewall to perform its function, rather than within the program itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.