In LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thrown

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sunrise, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

In LinuxWorld 'fight club,'... (Untangle Untangle's Untangle.com)

"Antivirus Tools Underperform When Tested in LinuxWorld 'Fight Club'
    In LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thrown at them"

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=131246

Kaspersky :D , ClamAV and Symantec.

2. rothko

rothko Registered Member

Re: n LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses throw

ClamAV....:). thanks for the link, they allow you to download the testset too :eek:

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Re: n LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses throw

Seems the test set was only 18 and not only 25

Attached Files:

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Wow this is a really accurate gauge of an Antivirus performance. <Sarc>
    They only used 18 different samples total to "Test" the Antiviruses.

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

More like 17. Eicar.com doesn't count. Its time to switch your AVs folks... :D :D :D

tD

6. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Blacklisted. No Serious AV / Security Vendors offers a download of malware for public on their website! IF they don't even know that then they're more than dumb.

7. Inspector Clouseau

And... Attention: Password protected archives used as samples! Now that's what i call moronish. Either you know how to do it properly or just don't do it.

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Simple math got me again! :D

9. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Re: n LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thrown

Oh noes! :) trjam, it's high time for you to switch your avatar icon again. :D

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Re: n LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thrown

Oh that's just awesome!! :)

11. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Lol. :p

NOD wasnt even tested! That must mean its terrible and I should switch immediately to ClamAV :gack:

/SARCASM

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, that is hitting below the belt Stefan. Thats ok, you keep working on that "gamer" module,:cautious: instead of wasting time on say something like a ,"HIPS module".;) :D

13. rothko

rothko Registered Member

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

15. Inspector Clouseau

I wrote also something on my blog regarding this: http://weblog.vircop.org/?p=52

16. jlo

jlo Registered Member

An excellent write up in you blog Inspector Clouseau.

Completly agree with all your coments.

Cheers

Jlo

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Am i the only one thinking that Kasperskys press release (link posted by IBK) is rather cynical and manipulating?.Kudos to the inspector and eset for setting the record straight.
    ellison

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I guess you are not the only one.

19. luke44

luke44 Registered Member

Re: In LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thro

Inspector Clouseau, if you read what the Untangle guys wrote about their test/demo (it's in the "presentation" link on virus.untangle.com) they specifically state that they are using the Eicar files to establish that the AV scanners are on and working -- just the purpose you validate in your post.

From what I got, they were simply testing that the various scanners could catch these viruses -- frankly they all should have caught all of them -- don't believe the Untangle guys were ever putting this test/demo forth as a conclusive AV test -- but it does mimic what customers actually do -- try a couple of scanners for a week or two and see how they do -- it's not statistically significant or maybe even fair, but it is real world.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Re: In LinuxWorld 'fight club,' only three antivirus tools catch all the viruses thro

EICAR was NEVER EVER meant to be modified. Except within quiet restrictive rules also described on EICAR webpage.

21. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Craziest "test" I've seen. o_O

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hurry , hurry , why wait and stay unprotected :D :D :D :D :D :thumb:

I thought I should switch to Watchguard , I really can't stand the risks *puppy*

jokes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.